Water pump swap on 170 slant

-

Zrksi

Reaction score
Having problems with the water pump pulley coming in contact with the crank pulley. Is there a difference between 225 and 170 water pumps? I may ordered a 225 water pump for my 170 but it fits perfect I assume

You just have a pulley on it for something other than a slant 6 I bet. To my knowledge, there are only two diameters.

Maybe there are more, I'm not 100% sure. @slantsixdan might can tell us. I have several if you need one, but I need to know the diameter of what you HAVE, so we don't make a repeat performance.

Having problems with the water pump pulley coming in contact with the crank pulley. Is there a difference between 225 and 170 water pumps? I may ordered a 225 water pump for my 170 but it fits perfect I assume
Welcome to the site, by the way. Toss an intro and some pictures of your project over in the Welcome Wagon.

Fill in the blanks;
1) Model/year of car
2) Stamping on block passenger-front side of cyl. head.
3) It was making contact before getting new pump, or after installing it?

Having problems with the water pump pulley coming in contact with the crank pulley. Is there a difference between 225 and 170 water pumps?

No, with one exception: In 1960 (only), the 170 engine used a 3-1/4" diameter impeller. All other Slant-6 water pumps have a 3-1/2" impeller. There are no differences in hub placement or other dimensions.

Please show us pics of the interference you're getting; it sounds like you might be trying to use an incorrect water pump pulley—probably not from a Slant-6; AFAIR the only differences in Slant-6 water pump pulleys are single- or double-groove; same diameter either way.

Last edited:
-
Back