Water purification

-
I think @Car Nut hit the nail on the head with a sledgehammer when he said 'Bottled Water'. I'm not much of an outdoors person. In fact, my idea of roughing it is a hotel room without a good mini bar, a good free breakfast and HBO. I would never voluntarily put myself in a position where I needed to purify my water.
That being said, when I went to USAF Survival Training, we spent three days and two nights in the wilderness north of Spokane Washinton. They taught us to use the tablets (iodine I think) after filtering it. They said to use a piece of any cloth available. They also said that boiling would work OK, but it was not as good as the iodine tablets.

1724388176743.png

Carried a bottle in my first aid kit

Here is what an old time chiropractor does when he goes up to the Minnesota Boundary Waters camping trips.

He says that if you sip the water little at a time, that the acid in your stomach will kill the microbes in the water.

It's when you chug the water as in being really thirsty, then the microbes can flow through your stomach and get into your intestine and that is where you will get sick.

Would think you would have to be very disciplined in this approach to keep from drinking too much too fast.

I have used the hand pump water purifiers to replenish our water bottles the one time I went to the Boundary Waters Canoe/Camping trip.

☆☆☆☆☆

I’ve started researching water purification systems that sit on your counter at home. Several different companies offer these kits now and also offer portable systems to use in the woods and on trip. Pretty interesting subject if you have some time to research.

Used to drink water out of the lake, which was an old strip mine, up in Butler when I was a kid, explains a lot! Was never brave enough to drink out of the Mon.

Have heard good things about life straw.

Kind of a side note, I read that a person can become immune to Giardia or at least significantly reduce symptoms with exposure.

-
Back