Water spots on glass.

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
What do you guys use to get all the water spots (stains) off of old glass? I've scrubbed with windex until my arm hurt. Its bugging the hell out of me.

360scamp said:
What do you guys use to get all the water spots (stains) off of old glass? I've scrubbed with windex until my arm hurt. Its bugging the hell out of me.

Maybe superfine Steel Wool. Works to take off overspray i know that. Possibly spots :salut:

GoodysGotaCuda said:
Maybe superfine Steel Wool. Works to take off overspray i know that. Possibly spots :salut:

super fine steel wool and glass cleaner. Dont use the steel wool dry. You can also try using some wax. If that doesnt work it may be to etched in.

Permatex Glass Stripper.

It works very well. :thumblef:

Follow the directions.

Your local Napa can order it.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au...s/glass_care/No_Touch_Auto_Glass_Stripper.htm

No Touch® Auto Glass Stripper®

A heavy-duty cleaner specially formulated for auto windshields. It removes silicone build-up, hard water stains, mud, oil, bugs, and tar that other cleaners cannot.
Item # Container Size Pack Part # MSDS TDS
95208 8 fl. oz. bottle 12 GS8-12 N/A

All No Touch® Item No.’s are prefixed by 018588.

DisplayImage.asp

Steel wool and Scotch pads will scratch, be careful.

I've successfully used Meguiars Medium Cut cleaner with elbow grease (hand rubbing) to get water stains/etching/acid rain damage off. Works great, but it's hard work.

Good luck. You can do it! Just focus on a small area at a time!

use the wax or maguires cleaner wax approach first. If that doesn't do it
try the glass product mentioned by cavemanmoron. I sell for a mercedes,
Porsche,Acura ,Jag dealer and we use those two approaches.
Believe me, the last thing our detail guy wants to do is ruin a $2000.00
heated windshield! We never use steel wool ,even with glass cleaner.

I detail for a living, we use the steel wool all the time. Never had a problem as long as you use super fine wool and the glass cleaner. Also dont do it on tinted windows or plastic windows.

Distilled vinegar will disolve most mineral deposits. And Bon-Ami is a good non-abrasive cleaner if the vinegar doesn't work. I used both on my Dart with good results.

I'm an old man, so I do it the lazy way.

Put on some dishwashing gloves, take some 0000 steel wool and soak it with pure CLR lime remover/cleaner and lightly scrub it all away. Wipe the CLR off with a moist towel, then give it a quick spray of Windex and wipe with paper towels. Your glass will be as clean as new!

Diluted CLR is also great for cleaning house windows too! It works 10 times better....and 10 times faster than any glass cleaner I have ever seen.

AdamR said:
I detail for a living, we use the steel wool all the time. Never had a problem as long as you use super fine wool and the glass cleaner. Also dont do it on tinted windows or plastic windows.

i agree, i detail for dads shop and we use steel wool with glass cleaner all the time. works just great.

Bar keepers friend... you can get it at most local grocery stores, works GREAT on windows, and chrome... abarasive enought to clean, soft enough not to scratch, works good on aluminum too!

back up
Permatex Glass Stripper.

It works very well. :thumblef:

Follow the directions.

Your local Napa can order it.

http://www.permatex.com/products/au...s/glass_care/No_Touch_Auto_Glass_Stripper.htm

No Touch® Auto Glass Stripper®

A heavy-duty cleaner specially formulated for auto windshields. It removes silicone build-up, hard water stains, mud, oil, bugs, and tar that other cleaners cannot.
Item # Container Size Pack Part # MSDS TDS
95208 8 fl. oz. bottle 12 GS8-12 N/A

All No Touch® Item No.’s are prefixed by 018588.

DisplayImage.asp

-
Back