Way over my head

-

R0K3_B3aRd

Man with a Master plan.
Reaction score
I have a 1965 barracuda I'm building on my own in my backyard and I honestly need some help. Everyone who i talk to keeps trying to charge me up the *** on everything then saying ya mopar is expensive. So I'm posting this to see if someone would actually help me who lives in my area. I know a little but not enough to rebuild this car i already did the interior all by myself with por 15 but now i need help with restoring the rest. I honestly don't have money like that to pay someone to help me every day i just need a teacher who will actually teach me. I would be very grateful thanks I really appreciate it.

that's what this site is, internet mopar college.

sorry I don't live in sunny, wet, dry, burning, muddy, etc Ca.

there will many skills you can learn, there will be somethings you will be d efinitely challenged to accomplish I the back yard. all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

yes many mopar resto parts are more expensive. just life. good luck!!!!

It gets a bit daunting sometimes dealing with these older cars when you are a novice like me. What I do to kinda keep afloat is to make a small checklist of stuff I want to get done. Couple that with "low" expectations and I find myself enjoying working on my car quite a bit. By low expectations I don't mean I don't give a hoot, I do, I just know I'm not a high end resto shop, so I'm not looking for show quality paint or the fastest car or anything like that. I don't even set time goals, those'll just end up frustrating you.

Take small bites, if I find I don't know how to do something I come here and ask. If its something more general like body prep, I'll search out some articles or youtube vids.

These cars are easy. It just takes twenty years or so to get used to them.

just stick to your master plan and you'll be fine

this is a great place to find people who are willing to go out of their way to show you how to do these things

a while ago I posted the question "what is the best way to install the transmission onto the engine"
got a few good answers, but the best was, "you need a transmission jack, let me know when you have time and ill drop mine by and show you how to do it"

I think the key to you finding some help is being specific
I read your post a few times and honestly, I don't know what it is you are asking help with.
the interior is done, I get that.
do you need help with the engine, body work, setting up the drivetrain?

be specific and I'm sure someone will come along and teach you, or point you in the right direction

Dave is right, by the way, about those youtube videos
I must have sat in my garage and stared at a U joint for hours, trying to figure out how to tear it apart and rebuild it
one 5 minute youtube video later I got it.

What can seem like "charge me up the ***" may not be that at all, especially in the body shop service aspect. Todays vehicles can get in and out of a bay in a day, most often insurance company paid. There are plenty of them too. Taking in actual old school bodywork that clogs a bay for a week or 3 is not the kind of business they want or need.

just stick to your master plan and you'll be fine

this is a great place to find people who are willing to go out of their way to show you how to do these things

a while ago I posted the question "what is the best way to install the transmission onto the engine"
got a few good answers, but the best was, "you need a transmission jack, let me know when you have time and ill drop mine by and show you how to do it"

I think the key to you finding some help is being specific
I read your post a few times and honestly, I don't know what it is you are asking help with.
the interior is done, I get that.
do you need help with the engine, body work, setting up the drivetrain?

be specific and I'm sure someone will come along and teach you, or point you in the right direction

Dave is right, by the way, about those youtube videos
I must have sat in my garage and stared at a U joint for hours, trying to figure out how to tear it apart and rebuild it
one 5 minute youtube video later I got it.

there is a couple of pretty smart guys on here. ask specific questions. dart273 is electrical smart, rrr is mechanical smart !!

These cars are easy. It just takes twenty years or so to get used to them.

If that doesn't light a fire under your butt nothing will! ;) When you find a deal on parts you are looking for or a parts car you better jump on it and get what you can when you can. Some areas are a little stark on this stuff.

I've been in the automotive business for nearly thirty years and been involved, sometimes very deeply before that, in fact my dad was a mechanic in a Chrysler Plymouth dealership when I was born way back in 1951. I'll offer my perspective to you for whatever it's worth.

Know you limits, it will be far more cost effective for you to employ a pro when you need one. don't be the guy who is the story told of the DIY'er who went too far on his own.

Hang out with quality people who are already seasoned in what you want to learn, most people are eager to come along side a guy who is a willing learner, be careful not to be the needy guy who winds up being a giant pain in the ---- to a mentor who has limits on his time that you need to acknowledge.

Match your dreams with your budget and stay on course, changing your mind after you start will always cost you money.

There are no dumb questions, there are dumb answers, be discerning about the advice you receive. Like I said earlier, hang out with quality people. stay as far away from hacks as you can.

Have fun with your project, don't let it own you.

First step. Go to Sacramento Raceway Park for the Mopar Muscle Car Magic event on August 30th 2015. Next week. Make a b-line to those who own your make, model and year(s) of your car and talk to them. They will give advice and offer to help you. Visit the vendor booths. Usually local at that event and many will give you 'special' rates on paint and body because of the event. Bring money for the bacon wrapped hot dogs and sun screen. Make friends and contacts and don't think you are bothering anyone because you are not. Too see is to experience all that is Mopar. Have fun. And take your time with your build. It will be worth it.

I live too far away to help in person. But would be glad to share advice where I can.

You definitely are on the right web site and you need to get good at searching it. The search feature can be useful, but I've found that I have better luck with Google site specific search.

In the google search window, type something like:

speedometer cable leak 1965 site:forabodiesonly.com

That will limit Google to only this site.

Also, somewhere on this site are links to Factory Services Manuals for each year. They are free. Find the one for your car and use it. They are excellent and they are text searchable. Sometimes they will tell you to use a special tool, but there are other ways and that's where the added knowledge from this site comes in.

There are a hell of lot more than 2 smart members on this site. There are a ton of members that have built their cars from the ground up completely on their own including me

Not bein a smartass.....but do you expect FREE help? Have you offered the beer and pizza and maybe gas money? Even a little for labor? There ARE people who do this for a living. Should they be expected to come help you for FREE just because "you don't want to pay"?

No offense, but I think I see your problem.

^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^ Neither one will sugar coat anything for you but will give you good direct answers.

case...

Not bein a smartass.....but do you expect FREE help? Have you offered the beer and pizza and maybe gas money? Even a little for labor? There ARE people who do this for a living. Should they be expected to come help you for FREE just because "you don't want to pay"?

No offense, but I think I see your problem.

... and point :D

(not saying it is not a valid point and it probably should be addressed, but still)

Man RRR, that really makes him feel like asking for help on here. There are people on this site who doesn't expect anything for helping out someone.

Man RRR, that really makes him feel like asking for help on here. There are people on this site who doesn't expect anything for helping out someone.

I don't think that's the point, but rather, that even though there are so many of us who would offer their help free, the one asking it should never EXPECT a free ride

I myself didn't read anything where he said he EXPECTED a free ride. He said he couldn't pay someone everyday to help him.

-
Back