Weekend started out good, ended early and not so good

-
^^^^unfortunately true about breakage. But we all dread it as we just want to go race and enjoy the competition. Not fix broken hardware!!

Went 10.58, 6.70 in the 1/8.
next morning it went 6.64 in the 1/8, probably a 10.48 or maybe 10.49.
Picked up 2 tenths over the old best, with the only change being headers.
the air was good, especially Saturday morning, but not mineshaft. It was in better air when it ran its previous best.
now it’s down with broke tranny
That is a HUGE gain!! High five! Now get it apart and tell us what is wrong please.

Man is it ever the truth , what I thought was a balancer problem is looking like a spun bearing so out the motor comes for the third time in the last year or so... I have had nothing but problems since converting the motor to lower compression to run pump gas.. and yes its going to a different shop from the one that built it .

E96BD027-5839-4798-87ED-CF59886CB105.jpeg

A buddy had ordered the new 3rd member I put in a season + ago when I broke a factory 489 case.
with the single leg burnout, I thought maybe he had ordered a suregrip by mistake. Called Moser, nope 4.30 gear, and spool in nodular case.
so now that it’s verified, I think( as it’s obviously been going on a while) it’s related to bias on driver side of car( my 330 pounds ) and my having my foot on the brakes because I don’t have linelock( will have it soon though)
so I think I don’t have an issue with the rear, as evidenced by 60 foot being fine and car driving like a caddy down the track.
so really, just getting tranny out and fixed, and finding right alternator belt.
Meantime, been in the 90’s last several days, and next few days, boat is going in Saturday..momma happy everybody happy…car can take a back seat

It’s been a while since I messed with an automatic trany. But usually if reverse goes out low gear does to or isn’t far behind. If your sixty foot time is good and first gear isn’t slipping. I’m not sure how your t brake with the push button for reverse works, might be worth checking that out before you pull the transmission. Just a thought

If that’s an actuator of sorts for a band or clutch that’s stuck on would explain why it wants to go forward in park

It’s been a while since I messed with an automatic trany. But usually if reverse goes out low gear does to or isn’t far behind. If your sixty foot time is good and first gear isn’t slipping. I’m not sure how your t brake with the push button for reverse works, might be worth checking that out before you pull the transmission. Just a thought

first gear could be going. When I launched it, just seemed to sit there like it was spinning then took off.. but I don’t think it was spinning

Wanting to still move in Park suggests that you have a problem in the forward clutch pack. Discs welded or bellville spring over center, locking the pack up. It would still have forward gears because that pack is applied all the time then.

Well, trans needs front band and rear clutches.
Front band had been run with it out of adjustment( my fault.)
hopefully have it back in the car next weekend if no issue getting band and the kit.

Glad it wasn't multiple issues, hope to hear you back out on the track soon.

What band you run? I always preferred the solid, although my current 904 has a ”reinforced“ flex band currently.

What band you run? I always preferred the solid, although my current 904 has a ”reinforced“ flex band currently.

I know it’s red, that’s about it, my trans guy said the band in it was correct, and he replaced it with the same band from A&A.
Trans was built in like 2014, ran in a race car several years, then yanked and sat until I bought it and started using it 5 years ago or so. Should of had it looked over back then, and never did

I swapped the A&A brake that was in the car( and I had never used) for a Turbo Action reverse manual valve body.
It got me free trans work, and frankly without a Dana I would never have used it( the brake) anyhow . So good deal all around.
Save the Dana swap to whoever owns the car next.
I have always footbraked my whole life except pro tree(400 tree) index racing anyhow. I prefer it. And it’s much easier on stuff and just as fast ET wise.
Be curious to see what if any change after fixing the trans and the valve body swap.

Going from a low band apply valve body such as your A&A trans brake valve body, to a cheetah reverse manual valve body with no low band apply, could show slight ET improvement because the low/reverse band does not have to release when you shift from 1-2. In my dad's Hemi Roadrunner, we went from a low band apply A&A reverse manual valve body to a non low band apply A&A reverse manual valve body and saw about 2 hundredths improvement in the 60'. That is a 727 not a 904 but the valve bodies are the same. That was when his car was running 6.50s in the 1/8. Since we gave the car more power (5.80s in the 1/8), we have went with a low band apply valve body for the extra sprag protection. So it won't shock me if you gain a little bit from the valve body swap.

-
Back