Weird Dakota headlight problem. Help

-

deanster

Reaction score
I have an 02 Dakota 4x4 that just started a weird problem. It is intermittent. Sometimes when I go to start it the headlights, interior lights, and 4x4 indication lights won't come on. Also the 4x4 service light comes on and the headlights just barely light up even with the headlight switch in the off position. The truck starts and runs fine. Other times everything works fine. This only happens when I go to start it. If I'm driving the headlights don't go out(so far). There are no codes. It seems like a short of some kind. Any ideas on where to start? All I've tried so far is wiggling the ignition and headlight switches. Thanks....Dean

Look at a wiring diagram. Find and insure all the grounds under dash & under the hood.

remove your drivers side kick panel by your park brake pedal, check the wirring at the bcm/central timer modual, for any discolouration, that is a problem spot, Harry

Thanks guys. I cleaned up all the ground connections I seen. The wiring behind the kick panel looked fine. It seems to be working good but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...Dean

Well my crossed fingers didn't work. After running several errands today I left the dakota parked for a few hours. When I went out to check on it the headlights were on very dim. Sure enough all the symptoms were back. I checked around and found one more ground to clean up.
Any more suggestions are appreciated. Thanks...Dean

-
Back