Weird electrical problem. Please help

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All"

I'm having a weird problem with my turn signals in my 1971 Dart.

Everything with them works fine until you turn on the headlight switch. With the headlights on, the signals REVERSE, meaning that moving the lever up activates the driver side turn signal and down activates the passenger side.

THis is a new one on me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Sounds like there may be a bad ground somewhere. I wish I could be of more help, but this is a new one on me too.

I've seen that before but I'm having trouble remebering what the fault was. Meanwhile ...
Do your turn indicaters in the dash come on with the park lamps ?
and check the bulbs/sockets chassis ground plus check any added trailer wiring light wiring.

The turn indicators on the dash do come on with the parking lamps.

Are both turn indicators coming on with the parking lights? Does one of them blink when the turn signals are turned on even if its the wrong side or do they both stay on? Do the signals blink at all? Try removing the front parking/turn bulbs and see if it still does it. If it is a bad ground in the front that is back feeding the circuit, removing the bulb may break the circuit feed.

Could this have anything to do with the AC having been removed from the car?

Thanks for the help!

Could this have anything to do with the AC having been removed from the car?

Thanks for the help!

it shouldn't unless who ever removed it bothered a ground wire or something. did you do anything to the car then notice it? maybe the wires up the column?

Only if some wiring got pinched or cut taking it out. The weird thing is that the turn indicators should not have power to them except when the turn signals are on. Since they are hooked to the front turn bulbs, they must be getting power from the front somewhere and feeding back to the dash. Does this only happen when the parking lights are on? They work normal when the parking lights are off? Make any difference with the key on or off?

This only happens when the lights are on. They are normal when the lights are off. THe indicators come on whether the key is on or off, but I haven't tried the turn signals with the key off.

I just noticed this, but I've never driven the car at night either. I have pulled the instrument regulator also, if that makes any difference.

Steve

this some times happenes when you burn out a bulb of turn signal and or brake lite. turn lights on step on brake if one of the tail lights goes out change that bulb ( what happens when the bulb goes bad the little wire on the turn signal side of the bulb falls on the tail light wire in the bulb thus short and a back feed thru the turn signal)

I had a similar weird problem where the left front turn signal was dim at all times and when the parking lights were turned on it would burn brightly and make the other parking lights and marker lights all go out.

Thankfully I read this thread first though. Didn`t even know the front turn signal lights had separate grounds! The right side was fine but for some reason the left front signal light had no ground wire at all, completely missing. So I made up my own little one to ground the light out and then everything instantly worked great. It pays to read up on the forum to save alot of time.

Big E

-
Back