weird fuel problem

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Ok,I was driving my Duster yester day and went to put gas in it.On my way home,It was kinda hesitating (kinda like blah blah blah!) but was ok as I gave it more throttle.So I decided to give it more gas so I punched the throttle,next thing the car started hesitating again and stalled.I pulled to the side and tried starting it again and it ran for a second but didnt stay running.So I get out of the car and look under the hood and popped the air cleaner off and saw the carb wasnt squirting any gas.So I got bak in the car and started and started until finally it started and stayed running.This isnt the first time this has happened.Sometimes the carb will stop squirting fuel.It has a brand new fuel pump,new filter,new fuel sender ,blew out the fuel lines and cleaned the fuel tank.Im wondering if the carb needs to be rebuilt and cleaned out since it sat awhile ?.:dontknow:
The carb is an Edelbrock 1406

I'm guessing with all the recent work done the tank was bad?
If so, the carb may need a good cleaning. Pop the top off & have a look inside the bowls. It will propably have a bunch of crud inside. Pull it and clean it well, then use compressed air to blow out all the passage ways. Don't lose the check ball!

Ok,I was driving my Duster yester day and went to put gas in it.On my way home,It was kinda hesitating (kinda like blah blah blah!) but was ok as I gave it more throttle.So I decided to give it more gas so I punched the throttle,next thing the car started hesitating again and stalled.I pulled to the side and tried starting it again and it ran for a second but didnt stay running.So I get out of the car and look under the hood and popped the air cleaner off and saw the carb wasnt squirting any gas.So I got bak in the car and started and started until finally it started and stayed running.This isnt the first time this has happened.Sometimes the carb will stop squirting fuel.It has a brand new fuel pump,new filter,new fuel sender ,blew out the fuel lines and cleaned the fuel tank.Im wondering if the carb needs to be rebuilt and cleaned out since it sat awhile ?.:dontknow:

I'm guessing with all the recent work done the tank was bad?
If so, the carb may need a good cleaning. Pop the top off & have a look inside the bowls. It will propably have a bunch of crud inside. Pull it and clean it well, then use compressed air to blow out all the passage ways. Don't lose the check ball!
Thanks,and the thing is the tank wasnt that cruddy at all.no scalely rust or anything too bad.The motor did sit for along time(according to my reciepts,it was built in 2005 but never ran much) but it always had the air cleaner on it.I noticed when I first got it running at ,only 1 venturi in the carb was squirting fuel.And theres also a weird noise in the carb while its running,almost like a grinding sound.Hope this makes sense,lol

if you run headers or exhaust is too close to the fuel lines you may be boiling the fuel ....

I think the float in the carb bowl is sticking.

thanks guys.Im not sure about the vapor locking because today it did this while it was cold.It wont even idle on its own so I have to keep my foot on the throttle to keep it running.The float sticking makes sense.Im going to see if I can find a kit for it,clean it out and rebuild it.Right now,I dont even trust taking it down the street.:angry7:
Is there a site that can show me how to tune this carb?I downloaded the manual for it from Edelbrocks site,but it really dosent tell me much.

ok,I messed with it today and I cant seem to get the idle lower than 1000 rpm without it stalling.I tried setting it at 700,but it will not stay on.I tried at 800 RPM,but bogs out when I put it in gear:angry7:But if I set it too high,the car kicks to hard when I put it in gear.Anyone have one of these Edelbrock carbs?Whats the trick to getting them tuned right?Also,im not sure what cam is in the engine,but it sounds pretty radical which is making it a ***** to tune.
I also want to add,will the octane grade of fuel make it run like this?I put 85(I know,its low) but the highest they have at my nearest gas station is 91 Octane.Maybe ill try out the 91 and see what it does.Im wondering if i should swap a Holley in.

Is your tank vented?It sounds like it,s building pressure in the tank,causing a vapor lock?I have a new AED850HO on my 408(it,s a modified Holley)This carb was a bolt on and the response is amazing.Your floats may be sticking also,get a Holley.Just my 2 cents.

Is your tank vented?It sounds like it,s building pressure in the tank,causing a vapor lock?I have a new AED850HO on my 408(it,s a modified Holley)This carb was a bolt on and the response is amazing.Your floats may be sticking also,get a Holley.Just my 2 cents.
yeah its vented.It had a charcoal canister hooked to the former slant six but its not hooked up any more.I may look into a Holley later on,im just trying to make what I already have work.:angry7:Im going to see if cleaning it out will work.thanks!

Simplest first, fill up the tank, change the filter and see if it runs better then (fills up fast if theres dirt in the system), then check for fuel lines near heat-sources, maybe just strips lines and hoses away from any potential heat-sources.

-Payy

Sounds like you got crap in your carb. I would pull it apart and clean out all the passages. Get a can of carb. cleaner with the little red hose and pull the needle and seat, idle mixture screws, etc. and spray them all clean so you know all the passages flow well. put it back together and set the float (7/16 if I remember right) and start with the idle mixture screws about 2 turns out and fire it up.

Sounds like you got crap in your carb. I would pull it apart and clean out all the passages. Get a can of carb. cleaner with the little red hose and pull the needle and seat, idle mixture screws, etc. and spray them all clean so you know all the passages flow well. put it back together and set the float (7/16 if I remember right) and start with the idle mixture screws about 2 turns out and fire it up.
Thanks
But before I do that,I was messing with the choke and noticed that after it is warm,I set it on the last step on the idle cam and runs great!But if it falls off the idle cam altogether ,thats when it seems to run like crap.But im still going to clean it out.I was also reading on calibration and could me living at Colorados high altitude have any affect?

-
Back