weird gremlin

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
So I take my Barracuda out for a spin and discover my interior light under the dash on the passenger side is on? So I get home and my pillar lights no longer work, nor do my brake lights! Everything else like turn signals front and rear all work as do the headlights, So I turn off the car in the drive way and remove the key. All lights are off. I depress the brake pedal and the light under the dash, comes on?? WTF? So I check to see if the dimmer switch will turn the under dash (map) light and yes it works as it should! As do the door switches, but still no pillar lights? I test the emergency flasher and no lights flash.

Anyone see this before? I will get more details when I have a chance to really look into this. I will better describe what works and what does not and all the little quirks thereof!

John B.

Went through this last year that light under the dash coming on when you step on the brakes means your brake lights are not working it is wired that way so you know you have a problem ,check the fuse box first thats what worked for me , and the rest of the interior lights acted the same as you are describing

I agree, check the fuses but also check the top of the fuse box to see if something is shorting to another circuit. I had this happen. The plastic cover was long gone and something metal got in there causing all kinds of mysterious things to happen intermittently.

While you're checking fuses, it would not hurt to check all of the grounding points as well. Bad grounds are very common on older cars and they can be the number one thing to cause electrical gremlins. All ground connections need to be clean and tight.

Thanks everyone, I will chck and clean all the fuse contacts tonight, If I ever get home that is!

John B.

and i thought this would be about an amc with a hemi.....now thats a weird gremlin....

Found a bad "new" fuse! The fuse I replaced yesterday was blown! Installed a "new" one, For some reason it did not take! Installed another fuse and I am back up and running with all the lights!

Thanks guys, did not know about the "your brake lights are not working warning deal"

Regards,
John B.

-
Back