Weird Rumble

-

mrhollywood

Reaction score
I have a 70' Dodge Dart with a 225 /6 and 904 tranny. When the car is in drive I have a wierd rumble coming from under the car. It comes and goes and is very noticeable when idling at stoplights. Any ideas what this could be?

Hard to say... Does it do it in gear? Out of gear? High idle? slow idle? Is it under the car or sound like it's coming up from the floor?

Its probably the exhaust pipe hitting the floor pan or rubbing against the frame somewhere, could also be a worn motor mount or trans mount.

If the exhaust isn't hitting anything, it might be a loose baffle inside the muffler. No decent way to fix that other than replacement.

The motor mounts are brand new. It only does it in gear. I'm also pretty sure the exhaust is not touching anything.

I had a broken tranny mount on my 318 that would allow the tranny to make a druming noise under the floor hump on idle and slight acceleration. In neutral it would go away (no torque on the engine). You may want to check that out.

Could be a noisy torque converter. maybe a pump stator, hard to say without hearing. Just an idea.

-
Back