Weisco Weight Help!!

-
i dont think that weight is correct.....

[ame]http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/ProTru/BuickChryslerChevrolet.pdf[/ame]

look on last page of catalog for chrysler pistons......they dont show a weight...and the 239 is the cubic inches...

so i think that other page is wrong....and the catalog does not list the weight...

found it

428.7 g for bare piston
121.3 g for pin
2.5 g for pin clips
24.7 g for rings

If you want to be 100%, you might pick up the phone. I know it's so passé for you youngsters these days, but it still works.

The last /6 we did with a KB hyper dish piston, the piston weight 359g and dish pistons are always heavier than than flat tops. Well maybe not "always" but generally thats the case.

If you want to be 100%, you might pick up the phone. I know it's so passé for you youngsters these days, but it still works.
they were not open at 1am this morning

The last /6 we did with a KB hyper dish piston, the piston weight 359g and dish pistons are always heavier than than flat tops. Well maybe not "always" but generally thats the case.

hmm i guess i'll give them a call as i have to find out if they would mind being .110 out of the hole...

wont matter if i build the crossflow as i'll have to have some crazy hemi piston built...

Little Eddy shouldda been asleep anyway.

well I got the 440 rodded bottom end figured out within .002" and it gives quench with off the shelf pistons. I just need to know if the pistons have the top ring low enough it wont come out of the bore and that the piston can have deeper dishes cut into it as it will be .035" from the "step" in a stock unmilled head.

great thing is this is a stock head build, i'll have some crazy *** domed hemi piston built if I can get the crossflow head done, might even be able to use 426 gear on custom shafts and stands...

weisco says

.110 out of the hole is ok, top rings are .230 down
.350 thick crown
pockets are .240 deep (not much depth to cut into)
15:1 compression fine
427gr without pin
122gr pin

so with these pistons I can run my bottom end but the question comes into valve lift and piston clearance...

how far did you have to get your piston out of the hole for quench? deck height? also head cc?

Still like the Hemi cross head flow idea.Pricey like hell.,though.

Just saw this... Mine were all 427 gr. on the nose (bare).

I couldn't get them far enough out of the deck to get quench without making it a race-fuel-only motor (without dishing them like you plan to).

Right now they are at .016-.011 out of the hole, and with 56cc combustion chambers I'm at 10.5:1...

The other problem with going for quench is the head combustion chambers are all over the place, depth wise. I have a few that are within .050 of the deck surface at the edge and some that are like .080 (with a .020 cut on the head).

I think you would have to set up the head on a milling machine and end-mill the flat area in each combustion chamber to the same depth, keeping track of where the centerline of the bores are (I guess you could use a scribe line from the bored block). Then mill the head to get the quench where you want it based on how far your pistons pop up. I don't think you would need .110 of pop-up. I bet you could get quench with .050, a decent dish and some complicated (and $$$) combustion chamber work.

Also the reground crank I have varies .005 in deck from throw to throw, so if you want to start pushing the limits of the quench idea you will have to do some adjusting of the piston tops depending on your crank.

Just saw this... Mine were all 427 gr. on the nose (bare).

I couldn't get them far enough out of the deck to get quench without making it a race-fuel-only motor (without dishing them like you plan to).

Right now they are at .016-.011 out of the hole, and with 56cc combustion chambers I'm at 10.5:1...

planning on 15:1 compression :D

The other problem with going for quench is the head combustion chambers are all over the place, depth wise. I have a few that are within .050 of the deck surface at the edge and some that are like .080 (with a .020 cut on the head).

I think you would have to set up the head on a milling machine and end-mill the flat area in each combustion chamber to the same depth, keeping track of where the centerline of the bores are (I guess you could use a scribe line from the bored block). Then mill the head to get the quench where you want it based on how far your pistons pop up. I don't think you would need .110 of pop-up. I bet you could get quench with .050, a decent dish and some complicated (and $$$) combustion chamber work.

for that motor the head would go to my guys in CA that have a 7 axis CNC machine, the head will be truley flat and i can have them true each chamber depth as well. as far as pop up i'll have to measure the depth on the chambers on a un cut head, see which one is the deepest, but i recall they are deep to the step. as far as the centerlines, you install the head on a bare bored block and correct (with offset pins) then open the chambers to the right diameter.

Also the reground crank I have varies .005 in deck from throw to throw, so if you want to start pushing the limits of the quench idea you will have to do some adjusting of the piston tops depending on your crank.

if your crank is .005 after a grind and index you have a shitty shop doing your stuff... but yes im going to be getting really close on the quench, see if i can leave the part number on the pistons in the head...

We ran a Zero deck dish 9 to 1.

Attachments

• DSC09450.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC09404.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC09406.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 161
Open chamber head, no real quench to be had. Ran std felpro and ended up with 54cc chambers

I think it's a good goal, and a fun challenge, but not an easy road. My head was pretty well centered on the bores that I only had to clean them up .020-.050 each to get rid of the overhang. But that was just for clearance with minimal pop-up, you would have to be really precise and pick a good head BEFORE the machine work.

I bet it would be cheaper to have custom pistons made with a quench dome area, like the ones made for 440s with open chamber heads (KB278, for example).

Then all you would have to worry about is truing up the quench area on the head, and milling the piston top to match.

As for the crank, I wanted to use one that my shop turned, but it had too much thrust clearance so I pulled another one - .005 (.010 stroke) variation is pretty common for production-quality regrinds. I suppose I could mill the pistons to match the deck heights but I'm not going for quench so it doesn't matter much. It's like .7cc variation (and the combustion chambers vary about that much too).

Keep us posted on your progress...

-
Back