weld through primer

-

lauger99

Reaction score
I'm sure there is a thread about this that i couldn't find (i did look really). I'm helping my cousin with his 70 gtx we have sand blasted and cleaned the frame and trunk pans and used 3m weld thru primer on the tops of the frame and the bottom of the pans. the problem is when we started to spot the pans in the welds splatter and burn thru. everything is nice and clean and close i'm using a millermatic 135 with gas. I have done some of the same things to my scamp with no where near as clean/good metal. does anyone have any ideas what would be our problem and maybe have a solution

I quit using weld thru primer for the same reason. It generates a lot of slag. I tried turning up the power but all it did was blow holes in the metal. I am not a fan.

I've used 3M weldthru but didn't work very well for me. I now use U-POL if I can find it, or SEM.
I also figured out that my welder doesn't like to weld fresh sandblasted metal.

I like to run over the the areas I intend to weld with a 50 or 80 grit grinder to shine it up first then a light coat of primer.
Maybe its all in my head, but it seems to work.

I have used a couple different weld-thru primers. The ONLY good one I have found that works great with actual "welding" is SEM Copperweld 40783. The others had the problems with burning holes in things, or poor welds.

i found a couple more post around the net that said they liked that u pol alot better than the 3M stuff. but maybe it is the combo of the blasted metal and the weld thru. i'll have to see if i can find any of the other stuff and give it a try. thanks

has anyone noticed a difference welding with this stuff with different thickness's of metal or thick to thin?

-
Back