welding cast iron

-
As was mentioned get a competent machine shop to do the repairs. I had a BB one which was broke in half. I had my local machine shop weld it and surface it, looked great, worked good and held up just fine. Once painted could not even tell other than one of the numbers being missing where the break/weld was

Broken completely in half is the best way. There are zero stresses in the casting when you are done, providing you can keep the entire area being repaired at least a dull red the entire time you're working on it.

A hibatchi with charcoal is a good way to preheat and post heat for even cool down as it burns out. A good V-groove, a plate with two bolts to hold it in place, weld with proper rod and stick arc welder, and don't forget to post weld peen to relieve stress.

waggin has dun it a few times and have held up now over 5 years Rani, I don't know much about welding :-? so I leave it to folks like you that want to learn more :glasses7: Looks like you
are in good hands here :cheers:

Wagg's handy work :D

Attachments

• JEEP%20FRESH%20AIR%201993%204_0%20131.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 71
I've tried to weld cast iron before even with nickel rod turned out looking like the elephant man and went to pick it up after cooling and it fell apart so I dont mess with that kinda stuff just take it to someone who's done it and knows wtf they're doing will save you from getting po'd and self destructing...

-
Back