welding on unibody

-

wolfhammer

Reaction score
Anyone ever have issues when welding on the unibody frame rails? Example: frame connectors, roll cage struts (under hood and in trunk). Should it be reinforced or boxed before any welding? Or, is it ok to just weld right to it?

the frame rails, floor pans etc are pretty thin ... 14 ga maybe when new????? most people I know weld a flat plate on ends of frame connectors and weld that to frame and crossmember. that's what I do, but don't go my me!!!!??????

Sub frame connectors I didn't reinforce anything, just welded right to the frame rails. I do plan to reinforce before installing the cage.

I use plates to spread it out. If a cage is needed and the force is enough, the bar will punch through the stamped steel.

I reinforced the sub frames with the connector then when i caged it i added more at the floor where the sub frames connect to floor pan and welded the sub frame stubs to the floor too

Thanks for all the input guys. The thing that made me wonder was the car that Dale Snoke did with Steve Magnante. The 64' Dart gasser "Identity Crisis". They welded the spring perches for the front leaf springs right to the stock frame rail under the torque box and added about 3" to the front of the frame to mount the spring shackles. I would add pics but I can't figure out how lol
Check Mopar Max Dart Attack

Thanks for all the input guys. The thing that made me wonder was the car that Dale Snoke did with Steve Magnante. The 64' Dart gasser "Identity Crisis". They welded the spring perches for the front leaf springs right to the stock frame rail under the torque box and added about 3" to the front of the frame to mount the spring shackles. I would add pics but I can't figure out how lol
Check Mopar Max Dart Attack

the rear perch was welded at the junction which gives it a lot of structural strength? the frame rails are pretty thin but then again, i'm not an engineer and the guys that designed these old cars were! LOL but I know the metal ( rails) or whatever can rust from the inside and outside. so after 40-50 years, how thick is this metal?? also the tubing he welded on s probably maybe twice as thick as the framerails???

floor pans are pretty thin also when new. the factory of course, welded a pretty thick plate where the s eats attach. otherwise in small fender bender, you and the seat would become airborne??

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:
Sub frame connectors I didn't reinforce anything, just welded right to the frame rails. I do plan to reinforce before installing the cage.

Looking good Brad4406, thanks!

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

Looking good Brad4406, thanks!

Thanks, but I have a long way to go and haven't touched it for a long time.

My 6-point cage came with plates to weld to the floor to weld the cage to. That is the only reinforcing I plan to do, if you can even call it that.

-
Back