welding trans crossmember

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
I am wanting to add a scallop to the other side of the crossmember so the dual exhaust will tuck up nicely. I have an extra crossmember. should I cutout a scallop then weld in some material or cut em both in two & weld the 2 good halves together and should I have it mounted in place for dead on alignment when I weld. what do you guys think? thank you for your time. RR

If it were me, I think I would modify your extra cross member. You could form it the way that you want to, and as long as it is re-enforced, I wouldn't think that there would be a problem. Lots of work done on these by the A518 swap guys. Good luck with your build:thumbsup:

The crossmember is not symmetrical; as in you can't just flip it around to use the side with the reliefs on the other side, the bolts won't line up.
TTi has the template on their website, it's a quick half hour job to modify it, probably quicker than cutting and splicing 2 different ones together anyway.
https://www.ttiexhaust.com/Sheets/Crossmember_sheet506.pdf

i notch my crossmember and trans mount for duel exhaust on my 64 barracuda , used a hole saw and welded a short 1/4 rod to the assemble to guide the hole saw , made an insert of round tubing for the crossmember and like wise for the trans support . i used a mig welder for both inserts .

I used to make these, but I ran out of cores, and nobody was sending me theirs back, despite me offering a $15 discount. I guess I shouldn’t have taken off the $15 on the sale end, but I was trying to be nice and help the early A guys out.

D763DF3A-16B6-4A68-81BF-1EBC61056708.jpeg

1689175735952.png

When I make our(Layson's) version, I have a template I use to mark out my cut lines. I also make the curved plate with the hole in the middle to weld where my cut-out is.

My goal was to make the finished modified piece look like something that came from the factory.

I usually do them in batches.....around 25-30 of them at a time.

I am wanting to add a scallop to the other side of the crossmember so the dual exhaust will tuck up nicely. I have an extra crossmember. should I cutout a scallop then weld in some material or cut em both in two & weld the 2 good halves together and should I have it mounted in place for dead on alignment when I weld. what do you guys think? thank you for your time. RR
I'd recommend cutting the bolt-in crossmember (out of the car), then bolting it up and using it to mark where to cut the torsion bar crossmemeber on the car. Then take the bolt-in crossmember out and box it back up and cut the torsion bar crossmember and box it up.

-
Back