Well another A-body "lawn ornament"

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
Well I took a chance on a Mopar "Grab Bag".

Long story made short.

Bought a 70 Duster hoping that is was worth saving. I only looked at the car from a distance. After a few days my Dad went back to talk to the owner but was not able to. Dash had a cover on it so he took a chance and opened the hood to find out it was a /6 car but did notice the car appeared top be a factory FJ5 car. He did not look at the cars option tag because he was trying to hurry :p (No tresspassing signs). Anyway we finally got ahold of the owner of the property and I bought the car without really getting to look over the car.

Thanks to my Dad and my brother, the car was loaded on a trailer and hauled to my Dads today!! So I will get to go up there in a few weeks to look it over. I know it is bad, but I want to see it with my own eyes before I decide what to do with it.

Option tag reads

HD
J5 G33 J25 R11 V5X Y14
FJ5 L1X9 TX9 605 5347
E24 D31 VL29 C XXXXX

I wonder if a " Lawn Ornament" is similar to my "Garage Stuffing" :scratch:

Good luck with your purchase..... :thumrigh:

Good luck with the new Duster.
I can't imagine a car from Texas being to bad, unless it was rolled over. Up here in the great north east they rot away to nothing.

Mopower71 said:
Up here in the great north east they rot away to nothing.

A-MEN ! We get's sum sheety cars up here !

Look at the engine compartment shot of my corn cob. That's considered being almost " rust free" ! :laughing:

Well it is pretty bad from what my brother said. But he is not much a "resto" buff. His idea is to buy one finished. He said "you need you head examined if you start on this car" :roll:

Anyway I posted a few pics that my brother sent me. Follow the link below and go to "71 Dart" on pages 3 and 4.

http://community.webshots.com/user/carcrazyguy

:scratch: Let me know what you think!

Ok so it has some surface rust, Big Deal.
Needs a headliner also. Up here they list those cars as being "Almost Mint"
I went to look at a Duster in New Jersey and was told. " Bodies perfect, Just needs paint"
I appoligised to my wife for wasting 3 hrs to drive down there as soon as I pulled into the driveway. I just wanted to back out of the driveway and go home.

Mopower71 said:
I just wanted to back out of the driveway and go home.

Yup! Back when I was searching for a project I followed an ad for a `67 383 / 4spd. Fastback that " needed restoring..." I looked THROUGH the seat frame THROUGH the floor and INTO the frame rail! :shock:

The guy wanted $3,500, including the awful chrome sidepipes that were screwed INTO the rocker panels! I offered him $500 for the exhaust manifolds and K frame. We both had a good laugh and I went home....

He did have alot of nice Chevy's in the driveway though.

the car looks great. I just won an 68 post dart in CA. pretty excited about. My first e-bay purchase. going to pick it up tomorrow. I will try and post some pics.

Well there are other issues from what my brother told me. The car has had a door striker cut out. :scratch: My Dad said it looked as though the striker had damage around it and I guess it kept the door from closing properly and someone has cut out around it. :cry: Then the same :jocolor: put a piece of what looks like 1/2 x 2 metal attached to the top of the core support and through the hood so they could pad lock the hood down. :scratch: I guess that would be called "Redneck hood pins"!! Anyway I have thought about just throwing a tarp over the car, gathering parts here and there over the next 4 years while my wife is in school. Then when we have some money to "dispose of"....get started on it.

It may all just a DREAM....but hey..its free to dream..!!!! :thumleft:

DARTGAME said:
the car looks great. I just won an 68 post dart in CA. pretty excited about. My first e-bay purchase. going to pick it up tomorrow. I will try and post some pics.

When I was out in Nevada & Arizona I wanted to cry when I saw what was laying in junkyards..... Cali should net you a solid car. Probably all the rubber and plastic has vaporized.... but the metal will be good.

Post away when you get her home. Good luck! :thumleft:

15002153lg.jpg

Well there are other issues from what my brother told me. The car has had a door striker cut out. My Dad said it looked as though the striker had damage around it and I guess it kept the door from closing properly and someone has cut out around it.

The one in my Dart is buggered up. I need to cut out where it goes and put another piece of steel in there and remount the striker.

Mopower71 said:
If you don't want the Duster Just send it to us guys up here in the Rust Belt

Unfortunately the "rust belt" extends from your hat to your socks up here.... :roll:

Quit bitching about that Duster...I wish I could find a car like that...how much did you pay?

gts340 said:
Quit bitching about that Duster...I wish I could find a car like that...how much did you pay?

------- :laughing: -------------------------------

Wow that looks solid!
This is what we get to do to ours here in the rust belt!
87010794.jpg

87010803.jpg

And this is what we have for parts cars! :(
87010783.jpg

87010794.jpg

87010803.jpg

87010783.jpg

gts340 said:

Probably less than a broken sharktooth brings on ebay. :thumleft:

I was just "in the right place at the right time" :mrgreen:

Image014.jpg

its worse than that now... my car came from PA...

besides that car being insanely DIRTY, it doesnt look that bad, all cosmetic. hook ME up, i think i could bring the body on that car back easy easy no problem :) it really doesnt look all that rusty. except for the surface rust... you wouldnt be crazy, ive seen people work with less...besides the fact that a lot of parts will have to be replaced (seats, dash pad, etc) it looks pretty "sol-id" to me.

Mopower71 said:
Well there are other issues from what my brother told me. The car has had a door striker cut out. My Dad said it looked as though the striker had damage around it and I guess it kept the door from closing properly and someone has cut out around it.

The one in my Dart is buggered up. I need to cut out where it goes and put another piece of steel in there and remount the striker.

That was pretty common in those cars, my Dart Swinger 340 was pretty much rust free from Georgia and had stress fractures on both Door strikers that had to be repaired! :(

-
Back