Well Got Laidoff Yesterday

-

63VALIANT*KISS

Reaction score
Well I Got The Job Right As This Ressition Was Starting And Now Im Feeling It This Blows.now My Car Is Gonna Start Getting Less And Less Attention But Ima Try To Keep Her Up On Her Feet

Man sorry to hear about that. I too lost my job and know how hard it is to find work these days. Ramcharger recently put up a survival guide for those of us who have been laid off. very good read with lots of usefull stuff. hang in there and keep looking forward. Johnny

sorry to hear the bad news,and joe's survival guide is very useful.

Sorry to hear that as well... I am going on 14 weeks and it does suck.

Following is something another member posted and is worth taking the time to review:

Layoff Survival Guide

So, you’ve been laid off. First thing I have to tell you that it is not the end of the world and may well end up being a change for the better. Being laid off is right up there on the stress-o-meter with getting divorced or losing a family member and you will need go through similar stages of recovery.

The first is shock, the second is anger, the third is mourning, the forth is depression and the fifth is acceptance. Everyone is different when it comes to getting through this but behooves you to get through this as quickly as possible. A positive attitude is essential to getting another job and to allow your creativity to flow when writing a resume and cover letter (we’ll get to that later). I got through the stages 1through 3 in about a week. 4 through 5 took a bit longer. Here are some things that helped me:

1. Make a list of chores that need to be done but don’t cost any or little money like organizing the garage or basement, digging a garden, fixing little stuff around the house, etc.

2. Get outside everyday! I can’t stress how important this is. It’s easy if you have a dog. Take him for an extended walk. He’ll love you for it and you’ll feel refreshed when you get back home. Take a bike ride if you can or just a walk through the local forest preserve or park. Start working out. Split some wood if you live in the country. Exercise releases nature’s most powerful anti-depressant called “endorphins”.

3. Don’t start drinking and/or do drugs. It exacerbates depression and hangovers are not productive. Also, many jobs now require a urine and/or hair follicle test. You could ruin your chances of ever getting a job.

4. Turn off the TV. It’s mind numbing crap for the most part.

5. Read both fiction and non-fiction. Fiction based books will keep you creative and some non-fiction books pertaining to your job skills will keep you sharp.

6. Apply for Unemployment Insurance immediately!! More on this in the first section.

7. Set your alarm and wake up the same time everyday. Don’t allow yourself to stay up late and wake up late. It’s a bad pattern to slip into and exacerbates depression.

For ease of navigation I am going to divide the rest into sections in the following manner:
1. Unemployment Insurance
2. Resume Building
3. Cover Letter writing
4. What’s a salary history?
5. Professional and Personal references
6. Job Resources
7. Cost cutting at home

Unemployment Insurance

Here are some general guidelines of what to expect although every state will vary. The following is what I experienced:

1. Apply ASAP! My state has a cut-off in the middle of the week (Wednesday) and would delay my benefits by another week.

2. After applying, I received a letter stating how much I would receive and for how long. This makes budgeting much easier (although not less painful). Your benefits will most likely be 40% of your past income averaged over the past 3 years.

3. I also received a guide with all pertinent information regarding when to log in for my benefits and what’s expected of me to receive those benefits.

4. Read that guide and follow everything to the letter. If you make a mistake you could lose your benefits and be charged with fraud!!

5. Applying isn’t easy so be prepared. It took me at least a couple hours online scrambling for my last check, vacation pay statements, last years W2, etc.

6. You will find that you will need to cut costs dramatically. Don’t think of it as the end of world, it’s just a camping trip at home, lol!

7. The first month will be the toughest. It may take up to 6 weeks until you see your first check. I was lucky and saw the first check in about 4 weeks. It was dang scary waiting around for that money.

8. You most likely will not get paid for the first week of unemployment. They call it a “waiting period”.

No, it’s no free ride but it’s a life saver in these hard times. I don’t like taking money from the government, but keep in mind that employers pay this money into a pool so it’s not really tax payer money either. I don’t feel good about it but I think of this way: I’m getting paid to look for a job so I’d better be worth it. The state of Colorado expects you to apply for at least 5 jobs a week and keep a log of all my job contacts. In my field of expertise this was exceededingly difficult as there just were not that many openings, but I also applied for jobs that matched my skill set of days gone past. Ya gotta do what you gotta do.

Resume Building

There is a basic formula that I use in regards to the construct of my resume. I have uploaded a copy here to visualize my points.

1. Name in upper left corner, in bold and larger font. Not too big or it may make you look psycho, lol.

2. First heading is “Skills” in bold.

3. Use “bullet points” to accentuate each and every skill that you have learned over the years but do not put work history or accomplishments here. This is the first thing that a prospective employer will see so don’t bore them and keep it short and sweet. I have 11 bullet pointed skills sets on my resume.

4. Next is your work history. Start with the most recent company you worked for with the name in bold, then their address and “time served” for that employer. Phone number is a good idea too.

5. Under each employer you need to add a bullet point for every accomplishment. This is really hard as almost no one really gets recognized for what they do, so sit down with someone who knows you really well and bounce some ideas off them. Not only do you want to put at an accomplishment but a result as well. For example one of my bullet points says “Developed and implemented a series of scripts that automatically download the CDR flat files, that have saved the company at least one man hour per day” See were I’m coming from? Yeah it’s hard, but you’ve got time now. Make the best of it.

6. I start with 8 or 9 accomplishment bullet points and reduce them from there. The next most recent job has 5 bullet points, the one after that has four, etc.

7. Once you’re done with your work history you can add certifications that qualify you for a specific task or job. Put “Certifications” in bold.

8. Education is next and “Education” should be put in bold

9. At the very bottom left list your contact information including address, phone number and e-mail address. Make sure it’s right. Some companies are using character recognition software when you upload or e-mail your resume and you’ve only got one chance. Don’t use some weird font either as I’ve heard the following from more than one supervisor “WTF? Why is this guy/gal using (insert weird font name here) font!! I can’t even read this crap!” ..throws resume in trash and walks away.

Be prepared to send out tens, even a hundred resumes. So many leads that can be found will say “Company Name Withheld” so can’t even follow up with a nice note like “Thank you so much for your time” that used to be par for the course. The reason is that these companies are inundated by job applications. If they see your skills match the job, they’ll keep reading, but if they see a job history first they may just get bored and pass it up. The regional manager that I interviewed with today mentioned that before they changed their hiring practices, he would have to interview 60 people out of over 200 resumes.

Use spell check! I can't tell you how important this is.

Be patient. I got called on one application 5 weeks later and another only a day later. It just depends on what system that specific supervisor is using or is mandated to use by the powers that be. Don’t let it get you down if you don’t hear anything right away.

Cover Letter

“What do I need a cover letter for” you say? Because it’s the one attention grabber where you can show who you really are and what you are capable of. It will be the very first thing that will be seen by the e-mail recipient. Many times the e-mail address will be simply [email protected] so you can’t even address it to a specific person. That’s OK though, as they are aware of the situation. If you do see a name like [email protected] feel free to edit the recipient to Mr. Bob. It can’t hurt.

You have to be creative yet professional. I once created a hilarious cover letter to a recruiter outlining how desperate I really was. It most certainly got his attention and I got response from him the next day. I didn’t get a job out of it but he never forgot me and we still send a note to each other about once a year. Who knows? Maybe one day he’ll contact me with the job of the century. Be careful with this method as it may backfire, lol. I would not suggest it for a direct hire position.

Although describing this is easy, execution can be difficult. I have attached a sample here at the bottom. Feel free to use it if you like, but the best results are the ones that you create for yourself. First, make a list of your best qualities. Use a good friend or spouse to help you out if need be.

Next you’ll have to put it in a quick, entertaining read. One longer paragraph or a couple quick ones work great for me. Don’t make it too long or no one’s going to read it through.

A good time to write creatively is after a good walk, hike or bike. No joke, it works. Good luck and continue to review and revise it. Show it to friends and family and revise it again. Good luck, this is the “grabber” that makes them want to find out more about you.

Job Resources

1. Friends, ex co-workers and family. This is the absolute best resource as they most likely have direct contact with the hiring entity. Don't be embarassed to use these people as they will most likely be impressed with your willingness to work. It's called networking and it works. I got a job once by hanging out in a bar were I knew a bunch of telecom workers hung out in.

2. State un-employment office. This has been a dud for me in my field but you might have better luck than I did.

3. Newspaper, online or in print. This has always been a great resource for me and my last interview was due to a online ad for a local paper.

4. The internet, Monster, yahoojobs.com, craigslist, etc. I scour the internet almost every morning. The big problem is that the search engines for online job ads suck. I just plug in my location and search "all jobs". That way I wont miss anything. I'm a bit paranoid that I might just miss that perfect job. Is it easy? No. Cruising through a couple thousand jobs every morning/afternoon is not easy, but it helps me see patterns in when/what people are hiring for. Do it for a month or two and you'll see what I mean.

5. Cold vists. Go to a business that hires people with your skills. For example if was a mechanic, I'd go to the shops I would like to work for and ask at the front desk for "May I speak to the person in charge of new hires please?". It shows drive and character. You will get turned down a bunch of times but eventually someone will see you. You may not get a job right away but your resume will be at the top of the pile when an opening comes around.

Cutting Costs

Yep, this is the part that sucks the most. If you own a home, nothing can be done about the mortgage as far as I know and if your renting and have a lease, not much can be done there either until the lease is up. What can be easily cut is the rest of your expenses.

1. Think about garaging all but one of your vehicles and dropping insurance on everything but your daily driver. This has risks and is not for everyone.

2. Wait till you can do your errands between 9 am and 11 am or 1 pm to 3 pm. Less trips mean less gas and by running your trips at these hours, you'll avoid rush hour.

3. Turn the heat down and the AC up. My heat is set to 58 F. I just throw on a sweater.

4. Unplug stuff you don't need such the coffee maker, microwave, tv and cable box, battery chargers, etc. They all pull juice even when not used. I even pulled the plug on the garage fridge. I've got the TV and cable box on a switched power strip. Yeah, takes a bit longer for it fire up, but so what?

5. Reduce any and all services to just what you can get by with. For example, my cable and internet is just the most basic now and I switched my cell phone (no home phone) to the most basic, cheapest I could find.

6. Buy what's on sale at the grocery store and use their savings cards. I saved $30 on a $80 purchase one week.

7. Say goodbye to steak and good beer. It's hot dogs and meister brau from here on out buddy.

8. Car projects should be brought to a halt with the exception of keeping the daily driver in good shape.

9. Pay at least the minimum on your CC's. Don't screw up and not pay them as many jobs require a credit check as part of the application process. I think it's stupid as hell, but that's the new way doing things. Why someone would be denied a job because their credit has gone to crap because they're not working is beyond me.

Thanks Guys Yea I Read The Survival Guide It Was Great Read And Now I Can Put It To Use But Man It Just Blows.really Depressed(dont Worry Not Gonna Kill Myself Lol)

Man that is tough for sure, Sorry to hear about it.. been off since Sept and it doesn't look good around here, as i am sure it is not too great down there. Just keep your head up, something better will come along

Thanks Guys Yea I Read The Survival Guide It Was Great Read And Now I Can Put It To Use But Man It Just Blows.really Depressed(dont Worry Not Gonna Kill Myself Lol)

Well, no ****. You will be depressed. Don't spend more than week watching crap daytime TV! Pull your *** up by the boot straps with a pot of extra strong coffee, and a plan. Be open to any possibility. Hit up relatives and friends first for immediate employment opportunities - if not, they will always be your support.

Next, come up with a plan and how you can make it possible with the resources you already have. This gives you a chance to pursue something that you love to do - take a chance!

By way - if this doesn't sound like Ramcharger - you are right this is the rottie girl!

IMG_0247web.JPG

well thanks for the great responses yea dartcuda its pretty sad here the mill closed all the family owned's r dieing and soon its gonna shutdown the mall they filed for bankrupcy its sad where gonna b a ghost town

Hang in there buddy, the biggest reason i left there 19 years ago was there wasn't much of a job market then...That is sad about the mall, It did look pretty empty when I was down there.

Yes try to stay positive, you are not alone and this is not your fault. Things will probably get a little worse before we see a change. Take this extra time and spend it with your car or family.

Sorry to hear. 8+ months off now. Job market bleak to say the least. Especially if you are "over qualified" (TOO OLD) The only way to bet depression is to turn off TV and take advantage of free time (besides job serch) and focus on finishing projects. Besides the wifes car "Veronica" I also focused on house repairs. Glad I did if I was still working my house would have fallen in. While redoimg exterior walls for new and more insulation I found old termite damage 3 studs next to each other gone on load bearing wall!
Zero in on undone projects that are cheap and it will cheer you up to see things acomplished that have been brushed to the side before before layoff.
You should be good for 6 months UI and 6 month extension, depending on your state.
Also retraining available through your local UI office, check into WIA program for retraining. Good Luck and keep yourself busy, that way depression won't catch up with you!

Sorry to hear of your bad draw. I don't know if it will work for you but i have had some luck in the past. Start watching for "super" deals. I know it's hard to spend when your weekly check is gone but start small. Anything works, a bike for $30, that you can flip for $50. A car for $500, that you can sell for $1500. If your town is hit that hard there will be bargains, but you might have to sell to another city or state. (ebay is great for this). You might not get rich but you can supplement enough to stay comfortable. What kind of mill did you work? Is relocation a possibility? Keep your head up, I found the best job I have ever had while the economy was bad and I had been out of work for months.

Yes I Know! I will be 50 this yease and this is the first time I have ever been laid-off.

63VALIANT*KISS

What do you do? Did I read it right? RN?
My wife is having troubles as well. Some offers come in but there just crazy. It seems like no one realizes we live 60 or so + miles from the city and driving with rush hours is insane.

OR a better one yet, come join the peace core and travel to XXXX (GOD knows where) for 15 an hour!

LOL, We'll make more at the supermarket thank you.

By way - if this doesn't sound like Ramcharger - you are right this is the rottie girl!

Well, to be honest, all that was missing was the word beer and that could have been subbed out for coffee. LOL

Hang in there, I know it's tough. My work has been very up and down for the past year and a half, I made $4600 last year and so far I've made $2200 this year :angry7:

The past month we were slammed, this week I've had to call the boss everyday to see if there is work for the next day, haven't worked for a full week now.

I've gone for 5-6 weeks at a time a few times in the past year without work to do. Sometimes I feel like I should look for something else, but it's hard to throw 7 years experience in the family profession away.

-
Back