Well, here goes nothin....

-

basketcase

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm Mike, I'm 61 yoa and new to this site. I've loved muscle cars since my early teens and in fact, my first NEW car was a 69 AMX 390 4 speed. I currently have a hand full of muscle cars in various states of restoration and though I really don't need another project, I just deposited a 1969 Dart GT convertible basket case. At the risk of putting some of you to sleep, let me briefly explain. In my teens, when I owned my 69 AMX, a good friend of mine had a 1969 Dart GTS convertible which was purple with white interior and top with a 340 4 speed. MAN I loved that car. We would switch off cars now and again and would race each other here and there for fun. The two cars were so closely matched that the winner would be the one who shifted perfectly and made no mistakes. If you did a perfect first to second power shift in the dart, the glove box would pop open and the ash tray in the right rear arm rest would pop out so that was what we used as our "gague". Did I mention I LOVED that car? Yupp, I sure did. Anyway, I now intend to build the exact duplicate recreation of that rare little Dart GTS right down to the 340 4 speed and the purple and white color combo. I would really appreciate tech assistance from you all since this is my first total restoration of ANY Mopar. If I can figure out how, I would also like to post pictures of the progress as I move along. I live in Lancaster NY and have a place in Crossville Tn. where I also have a 26x32 shop and that is where all the body repair, assembly and paint will take place. I haven't picked the car up yet because my oldest daughter is getting married the 25th of this month, so I plan to head out to Tn. in Sept picking up the car on the way. I'm just finishing a 68 SS 427 4 speed Impala but it's just a driver. It was a true 427 SS but it has a 454 in it now and the transmission is a replacement muncie as well. Well, I've rambled on long enough, feel free to respond with punishing comments about my long windedness LOL. Mike

Welcome to the site. You'll find lots of useful information here. Good luck with your build.

WELCOME!!! and congrats on your a-body find can't wait to watch this build, sounds like you had fun back in the day, brings back memories for me also. Good Luck and once again Welcome.

welcome--- great story & congrats on your daughter's wedding.

browse along & you'll find assistance & drama!!
Lawrence

Welcome to FABO!
Great story, sounds like it will be a great build.
We love pics, and people on here are always willing to help when they can.
The Impala sounds like it would be a lot of fun too.

Click the "Add Reply" button in the lower left. Then use the attachments button which I circled in red.

Attachments

• reply with pictures.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 227
Thank you to all for your responses. What a pleasant suprise! I'll try to answer questions in one response. Currently I have a 1968 Impala SS 427 4 speed (454 now)
a scratch built 1959 studebaker "Lark" street rod (the only thing Lark is the sheet metal) a 1972 Buick 455 GS restored as a GSX (Black/gold) a 1968 AMX 390 4 speed red with black interior. this IS NOT the AMX I had when I was in my teens but I have had this one for 38 years. My wife and I had our first date in this car 37 years ago and it has been put away in dry storage now for 22 years. It needs restoring due to non use over the years but is solid and complete. And lastly, I just deposited the Dart conv. I have one lousy picture that I will attempt to post. Thanks for your interest, it looks like you all have some nice cars here and over the coming weeks I will check them out. Mike (I'm having trouble with the picture upload, give me some time to get it right)

Welcome to FABO Mike it's a great place to find out anything you will need to know for your Dart resto.

Welcome to FABO, Mike, from SoCal. The best A-body site on the web full of great people and outstanding tech info.
Great story! Looking forward to watching your Dart build progress. I'm about ready to get started on my '69 Dart build after collecting parts, pieces, and ideas for the past several years.
Post up pics of your other rides as well as we appreciate all cars - we just like A-bodies a bit more!

Hello,a lot of people love those good stories,I'm one.Thanks.

Thank you to all for your responses. What a pleasant suprise! I'll try to answer questions in one response. Currently I have a 1968 Impala SS 427 4 speed (454 now)
a scratch built 1959 studebaker "Lark" street rod (the only thing Lark is the sheet metal) a 1972 Buick 455 GS restored as a GSX (Black/gold) a 1968 AMX 390 4 speed red with black interior. this IS NOT the AMX I had when I was in my teens but I have had this one for 38 years. My wife and I had our first date in this car 37 years ago and it has been put away in dry storage now for 22 years. It needs restoring due to non use over the years but is solid and complete. And lastly, I just deposited the Dart conv. I have one lousy picture that I will attempt to post. Thanks for your interest, it looks like you all have some nice cars here and over the coming weeks I will check them out. Mike (I'm having trouble with the picture upload, give me some time to get it right)

Welcome...from west coast Canada.

Try resizing your pic if it won't upload...800x600 is usually a good bet. Then scroll down to this screen and hit "Upload Photos", and follow the directions.....

Attachments

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 174
Hi again crew,
Here is my first question. The dart conv body that I purchased is cut at the firewall. I see that the frame rails on a conv differ from those on a hard top. My question is this: Will the front rails from the firewall forward on a hard top work on a conv body and if so what years will work? Thank you in advance guys, I really need the help on this one. Mike

Welcome aboard, enjoy this great place I call home :happy1:

Welcome aboard..

You may want to post the question on the frame rails in the Steering, Suspension and Chassis forum.. You might get more responses in there..

By the way I don't know the answer either..:-k

welcome to FABO! I am a long time fan of the AMX and the build you are working on sounds very cool. Have fun!

-
Back