well, no i feel stupid

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
last weekend i took the boat out and just before taking it out of the water i tied off on the pier to get the boat ready to trailer and killed the engine

well, i could not get it started afterwards so i just used the bow lines to get her trailered and looked it over the next day

it kicks over just fine, pump shot is good, but no spark

so i measured the power at the module and there is none

now, this can be the module or the coil...but i dont know how to measure it (im sure you can)
so, i ordered a new module, and a new coil

then i remembered i saw the voltage meter running a bit on the high side...around 16 at higher RPMs

now, this makes sence, maybe the voltage regulator went out, and the higher voltage fried the ignition module...or the coil

and thus i ordered a new alternator aswell

got the alternator and coil installed yesterday (had to dremel the new coil bracket out that took longer then anything else)

well today, the new module showed up so i installed that, put the cap back, hit the key and...nothing (i mean, it spun, but no spark)

this had me stumped for a minutes and then i got a sneaking suspicion (the kind my dad used to refer to as a dark brown suspicion)

as with most boats, there is a dead man switch on this one as well
it didnt look like it was in the off position, and the lanyard was still attached, but what the heck
i pulled the lanyard off and flipped it to make sure it was in the OFF position, hit the switch again and son of a gun, it spun around

WHY IN THE WORLD, DOES THE STARTER WORK WITH THE KILLSWITCH ENGAGED?

flipped the switch in the ON position, hit the key again, and the bastard fired right up

banghead.gif

Well LOL it's sposed to kill the engine not the starter LOL

On a side note, be careful of various "engine stop" / ignition switch/ kill switches on older engines with mags---including CDI which can be "self powered" or "mag" powered. Thise kill the old mag way---by shorting a lead to ground generally speaking

So the kill switch must 'make' to kill which is in a sense more fail prone in an emergency

BUT the system can sometimes "kill" the works when unwanted.........because if the wiring harness gets wet enough to "leak" enough electrical energy.......it can cause missing, poor performance, or no spark

last weekend i took the boat out and just before taking it out of the water i tied off on the pier to get the boat ready to trailer and killed the engine

well, i could not get it started afterwards so i just used the bow lines to get her trailered and looked it over the next day

it kicks over just fine, pump shot is good, but no spark

so i measured the power at the module and there is none

now, this can be the module or the coil...but i dont know how to measure it (im sure you can)
so, i ordered a new module, and a new coil

then i remembered i saw the voltage meter running a bit on the high side...around 16 at higher RPMs

now, this makes sence, maybe the voltage regulator went out, and the higher voltage fried the ignition module...or the coil

and thus i ordered a new alternator aswell

got the alternator and coil installed yesterday (had to dremel the new coil bracket out that took longer then anything else)

well today, the new module showed up so i installed that, put the cap back, hit the key and...nothing (i mean, it spun, but no spark)

this had me stumped for a minutes and then i got a sneaking suspicion (the kind my dad used to refer to as a dark brown suspicion)

as with most boats, there is a dead man switch on this one as well
it didnt look like it was in the off position, and the lanyard was still attached, but what the heck
i pulled the lanyard off and flipped it to make sure it was in the OFF position, hit the switch again and son of a gun, it spun around

WHY IN THE WORLD, DOES THE STARTER WORK WITH THE KILLSWITCH ENGAGED?

flipped the switch in the ON position, hit the key again, and the bastard fired right up

View attachment 1715740376
Good thing the rest of us are all flawless, nary a mistake ever! Hah! Glad ya found it and started a boat “ spare parts” drawer!

Yeah, I learned that the hard way too, but it didn't cost me actual cash; the guy in the next bay came over and slapped the tether back on for me. Embarrassing as heck tho......

At least that wasn't a lesson you learned out in the middle of the lake at about dusk :soapbox: happy boating!

Put an electric fuel pump on my vw bush buggy running through the existing mechanical one. Fired it up run good got about 1/8 mile from shop it quits wouldn’t start. Pull it back I can hear fuel pump running. But no gas. So I take the whole thing apart blow out all lines change filter check float in carb rinse tank put it back together no go. Mad now walk away. Come back couple hrs later here it seems some stupid asshole was trying to pump the gas out of carb to fill the tank. I stood there laughing at myself.

Well, on the bright side..
My volt meter had sat a hair shy of 14 from just off idle to full bore

So that was one thing that improved

Nope I thought I made a mistake once but I didn’t so I had to count the thinking I made a mistake as a mistake
If that makes any sense

-
Back