Well that escalated quickly

-

FlamesAreWicked

Reaction score
I bought my 68 Dart GT a couple of months ago with plans to make it a nice small block 4spd street bruiser. It has a 318/904/7.25 in it. In the last couple of weeks I’ve done picked up an A-body 8 3/4 housing with small bolt axles, and today I scored a 4spd swap out of a 71 340 swinger.. the owner wanted to convert it to a 727 so his wife could enjoy driving it. With the blistering heat we have down here in Louisiana, it’s gonna be a winter time adventure to tackle.

IMG_9660.jpeg
IMG_9658.jpeg
IMG_9671.jpeg
IMG_9627.jpeg

After thumbing through several threads on here, I saw that the 833 and 904 are the same length which would mean I could retain my current driveshaft. I will probably will need to keep the 7.25 in the car for a period of time until I can get the new rearend together. I know a 4spd in front of a 7.25 is a recipe for disaster but it’ll just be a temporary means to an end to keep the car drivable until. Also read that the 833 share the same yoke as the 727. Is there a yoke I can buy that will utilize my stock driveshaft for that purgatory time before my new axle is completed? I assume that the U joint size won’t be the same as a 727/833?

If I’m lucky though, I’ll have both axle and trans ready to drop in at the same time and a new drive shaft in place to bring the two together but I’m trying to plan ahead if that doesn’t transpire.

On a side note, I have no problem keeping the small bolt pattern for the time being but it seems that finding rear drums for the 8 3/4 in small bolt pattern is a tough task to achieve.. anyhow, any advice and tips would be appreciated. I have a pile of parts from brewers in my cart online, few other odds and ends from other sites.. I guess in a way are kinda getting forced to go to BBP with the lack of parts availability. I will eventually go with BBP front disc brakes but I’m trying to do things in stages of course.

my main goal first is to have the transmission swapped and have it running and driving.

I’m not a big fan of that style of shifter arm, am I super limited on options on that ? It has a bench seat in the car currently but will eventually have buckets

Try summit racing for the drums.

But Videotape yourself opening the boxes.
I bought 2 drums and the dt runs inside the box we're 9" from O'Riley's.

Summit made good but how do you explain that the the rep?

Are you sure you have a 833 four speed? The picture shows a 3-speed overdrive shifter. Can you post a clear picture of the raised pad on the passenger side of the main case?

Are you sure you have a 833 four speed? The picture shows a 3-speed overdrive shifter. Can you post a clear picture of the raised pad on the passenger side of the main case?
I don’t have one up close yet but this one of the pass side of it. I should be getting more photos of it tomorrow
IMG_9657.jpeg

I also noticed the same on the handle knob.. at least the number on the linkage rod case can be seen. Looks like a C95664 which is a 64-70 side cover at least. I’ll have more info tomorrow. Could have just had the shifter swapped for that application. Uploading photos kinda dumbs down the resolution so it’s probably even harder to read with the uploaded photo.

IMG_9656.jpeg

The shifter looks like a standard A body non-console shifter with an OD knob on it. Should work fine with your bench seat.

The shifter looks like a standard A body non-console shifter with an OD knob on it. Should work fine with your bench seat.
It’ll definitely work for the time being. My ideal shifter would be a hurst chrome stick with white ball that’s bent similarly. With that shifter base, I may be stuck with OE style handles I’m guessing? A hurst shifter with rods is expensive when ya can find them from what I’ve looked ya online

Looks like a Hurst to me.
I kinda thought that too since it has the two bolt holes on the side but I don’t have a clear view to see the name stamped into the side. A pistol grip would be great too but the classic white ball would be more comfortable even though it’s not nearly as cool

Appreciate the info so far Professor :thankyou:

I took some more photos of the numbers on the transmission. I totally failed to capture all of the numbers because I was in a rush.

The side cover is the pre-71 style, the shifter is the press in type which is typical of the same era, the rods as mentioned above designate it’s a regular 4spd.. the numbers on the pad is a little confusing.. being the VIN starts with 6B. I couldn’t decipher a PP833 number that’s usually along with the other numbers..my lack of experience with these has me a bit miffed ..

IMG_9805.jpeg
IMG_9804.jpeg
IMG_9803.jpeg

I tried scouring the internet for photos of maybe something similar casting number wise but no such luck..

On a different note, parts order from brewers arrived yesterday

That’s the chrome hurst handle that came with the trans.. I put a hurst white ball on it and set it with the boot for effect lol

Only thing left is will replace the clutch disc with a new one, carpet set, and I’ll replace the starter with a modern OE magnum style. Already bought a throw out bearing. In retrospect, I should have just bought a whole new clutch set but the pressure plate looks really good. Ah well… now to wait on Mother Nature to tone down the heat

IMG_9806.jpeg
IMG_9807.jpeg
IMG_9808.jpeg
IMG_9809.jpeg
IMG_9810.jpeg

-
Back