Well that was dumb...

-
Great posts! Ohh.. almost forgot this one but one post reminded me of it! My first car (Dodge Challenger) was having an undercharge issue and my battery kept going dead.

For some still unknown reason I decided to disconnect an alternator wire with the car still running. The plastic insulation on that wire melted instantly into the end of my thumb and finger. That one hurt for days! Good thing nobody was around because of all the shouted profanities. lol.

Hey, at least you didn't break the steering wheel. Lol

Stripping a wire in a ceiling box working on a 10 foot ladder. Using linesman pliers, cause I didn't want to climb back down. The linesman slipped, and smashed into my teeth. Oww.
Yeah but did you knock a small rectangle out of one of your front teeth like I did in that exact same scenario?

Funny, my buddy chipped a triangle corner out of his tooth also.
Luckily, I did not.
Guess it's happened alot.
Oww!

Circa 1989
I had just got done swapping a 340 into my 68 Dart, the car was parked on the gravel lot next to the house. I thought I was all done, jumped in the car hit the key,- neer, neer, neer, neer, neer, neer, (Chrysler starter sound), pump pump pump pump,(you know, give it some more gas)-neer, neer, neer, neer, neer, neer, pump pump pump,neer, neer, neer, Pump pump pumpneer, neer, neer,
Well, maybe time to check something. Start digging around under the hood and see that I forgot the coil wire. Hopped back in the car, (now realize, this is Florida so we’re talking flip-flops and shorts, and only one leg in the car.
Hit the key, neer-BOOM!!!!!
WTF! My ears were ringing like some cartoon gong, I couldn’t hear nothing. I jump out of the car, and look around and neighbors are coming out of their houses all over the place.
My foot, ankle, and calf felt like it was on fire, it was all red. I don’t know if it was a flame front, or sand blasting, but it hurt like hell. I gathered my wits enough and looked under the car and both my mufflers looked like Wile E Coyote after accidentally dynamiting himself. Bits of shrapnel hanging on the end of the pipe-blown open like some crazy shredded megaphone.
Exhaust system had been nothing more than mufflers hanging right on the collectors and suspended on the backside by some coat hanger to the seat bolts, you know, right next to where your foot would be dangling out of the door.

Last edited:
Talking about electrical shocks, I was replacing a light fixture back when I was about 14 and wasn't familiar with AC wiring so I had to keep running up and down the stairs to flip the breaker as I figured out which wires did what. Of course at one point I forgot to make sure it was off... grabbed the wires and got a nice buzz that went up to my face lmao. Not much current involved though thankfully, it wasn't really painful and I touched them for barely a second. I was able to feel the current alternating though as opposed to just the straight surge you get from DC so that was interesting. But yeah you can die from that **** so definitely not trying to shock myself with 120VAC again lol.

Freshened up the engine in the Roadrunner I was racing back in the 70's. All went good... Put the engine in the car, had everything except the convertor bolted up... Slid under the car to finish that and noticed a convertor laying under the workbench.... and then noticed the empty bellhousing.

Speaking off that workbench... It had originally been the counter in the speed shop I frequented. I got it for free.. Just had to move it. So it went on my car trailer... I needed help unloading it, but I also wanted to get my tie downs off it before they disappeared in the night. So, I climbed up on the trailer and all was good until I unlatched the last tie down. The bench suddenly shifted and rolled over, trapping my legs, but pushing my upper body off the trailer over the fender. I was hanging there upside down.... Fortunately, there were some people in the body shop, so I figured all I had to do was get a couple of those guys.... But I had to get their attention. A girlfriend of one walks out and I'm still hanging there, upside down. I calmly asked her to get one off the guys. Now... I even knew this girl from being in a wedding (she was maid of honor, I was best man), so I called her by name... She just stood there. I asked her again... It didn't seem to phase her that I was hanging upside and stuck.... She finally sighed and said "Oh alright" and went in the shop. I could hear her saying "There's some guy out here that says he needs your help... I don't know what he needs.

So.... One of the guys came out and saw me, yelled for his buddy and they lifted the bench off me. The girl just stood there... and still didn't understand the situation. They all kind of looked at her and shook their heads.

Circa 1989
I had just got done swapping a 340 into my 68 Dart, the car was parked on the gravel lot next to the house. I thought I was all done, jumped in the car hit the key,- neer, neer, neer, neer, neer, neer, (Chrysler starter sound), pump pump pump pump,(you know, give it some more gas)-neer, neer, neer, neer, neer, neer, pump pump pump,neer, neer, neer, Pump pump pumpneer, neer, neer,
Well, maybe time to check something. Start digging around under the hood and see that I forgot the coil wire. Hopped back in the car, (now realize, this is Florida so we’re talking flip-flops and shorts, and only one leg in the car.
Hit the key, neer-BOOM!!!!!
WTF! My ears were ringing like some cartoon gong, I couldn’t hear nothing. I jump out of the car, and look around and neighbors are coming out of their houses all over the place.
My foot, ankle, and calf felt like it was on fire, it was all red. I don’t know if it was a flame front, or sand blasting, but it hurt like hell. I gathered my wits enough and looked under the car and both my mufflers looked like Wile E Coyote after accidentally dynamiting himself. Bits of shrapnel hanging on the end of the pipe-blown open like some crazy shredded megaphone.
Exhaust system had been nothing more than mufflers hanging right on the collectors and suspended on the backside by some coat hanger to the seat bolts, you know, right next to where your foot would be dangling out of the door.

Damn that's wild! Nothing like a fuel-air bomb to wake up the neighborhood lol. I got some backfires out of the carb once or twice when I was first learning how to tune but that's the most fire/explosion I've experienced with a car.

Ye Olde Electric Shock story, nothing like one of those to get yer heart pumping.
This one’s a Beaut too
My first job out of high school as an electrician‘s helper, I don’t know how we land the job but it was already half finished, but it was a machine shop that Pratt and Whitney was going to use. My boss set me up with a scaffold on wheels, 4 tiers high. He told me he had some errands to run, and to start wiring up rows of fluorescent light.
I was the only one there, so I backed my car right into the shop, popped the hatchback, turned my speakers around, started rocking out and got to work. I was going along good for a while -wire a light, no reason to get down, grab the steel roof trusses and scoot the scaffold along to the next light.
I get done with one light stand up on the platform grab the rail of the scaffold with one hand, and grab the steel truss with the other and Wham! I’m buzzing like a hive of angry bees. It was all I could do to let go of that ****. I’m damn lucky I didn’t then fall off, so I sat there for what seemed like an eternity with my knees shaking like hell. I got down and went and got some lunch, and around that time my boss shows back up and I tell him what happened. We start probing around and find that there was a loose wire in one of the lathes. The whole machine was energized and my scaffolding was bumped up against it.
I feel like I cheated the Grim Reaper twice in less than a minute on that one.

Yep, you were lucky. Probably a 3 phase lathe too.
Alot of times a report of a person that fell off a ladder, started out as an electric shock!

My 2 oops more like idiot stupid *** involved explosions, a 430 Lincoln I was cleaning up and I was high on freebase cocaine.
I put a propane torch on the gasket surface to clean it but there was a bunch of other cleaning stuff already in the oil pan, BOOM, 16 lifters evacuated at enough speed to go through sheetrock with 16 foot ceilings.
2nd same scenario (sober) 20 years later. I blew the front cover off of a 460, it was 1/2 way unbolted & it exploded as well sending the broken half into the radiator. Big time fireball, had to shave my head, eyebrows, beard, arm hair.
What a mess, let's hope in 20 years I don't repeat the stupidity.

I think you`ll be alright if someone takes all your torches from you.:lol:
Yeah, if they can find them all, oh and I just remembered trying to shop vac gas out of my mini bike when I was about 12, that thing blew up too.
Fool me once......

This is me, I’ve done it many times.

6E8940E8-B287-4FDD-AF98-FC59F6F7C3AC.jpeg

Working on my 84 D-100 this week. It had quit running a couple of weeks ago, while I was doing other stuff, on it. Checked it out, and not getting fuel to the carb. Hooked a small electric pump to the fuel line, and still couldn't get fuel. Guess the problem is either a bad line, or in the tank. Dropped the tank, to check the pick up, and the rubber line on the top of the tank. I was positive I had put a couple of gal in the tank, when it first quit running. Wrong! Tank was totally dry.

Another one, probably 50 years ago. Old plymouth with a flat head six, customer car. Wouldn't start when cold outside. Remove the air cleaner, and give it a shot of either. No good. OK, this will work, get the oxy/acy torches, put the torch down the carb, and turn the acy on, crank engine, nope. OK you SOB, your gonna start. Turn on the oxy with the acy, crank engine, BOOM. These engines had the dipstick on the oil fill cap in a big tube on the side of the engine. Blew the cap/stick over my shoulder, and about 100 feet away. The cap missed me, but the 2-3 qts of oil that followed it, didn't.
PS: It did start, and the owner never had a problem starting, after that.

Used a rainbow vacuum to suck up a hot fresh runny cat turd. Turd potpourri
So glad I'm not 8 years old anymore

i remember sitting through a presentation on those one day
it was pretty boring until it hit me...thats not a vacuum they are selling me, that is 110 volt powered bong

i could not keep it together when i realized that

i remember sitting through a presentation on those one day
it was pretty boring until it hit me...thats not a vacuum they are selling me, that is 110 volt powered bong

i could not keep it together when i realized that
Really well made vacuum, works great, but who the hell buys one new? Last I heard they're over $1k and that was 20 years ago

Really well made vacuum, works great, but who the hell buys one new? Last I heard they're over $1k and that was 20 years ago

i know we bought ours new, and i think we paid exactly 1K for it (4, 5 years ago)
you got to realize that this is a product sold on commission, so whoever tries to sell it to you will mark it way up before they even come in the door

i have no problem telling them to knock 400 dollars off or the conversation is over

if i remember correctly, what sold us on it is that one of the kids had spilled some slime on the carpet and i had not been able to get it out
by the time the rainbow guy came by, that stain was over a year old

he got about 95% of it out in a few minutes, that sold us on it

-
Back