Well, there is about 8 gallons of gasoline on my driveway this morning (66 Valiant)

-

nephlyte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
And i thought to myself. That's not good. So i looked under my car and sure enough, theres my gas tank dripping away. Its probably been dripping all night.

It wasn't leaking like this when i parked the car yesterday This isn't a new tank, probably the original and its pretty beat up. It also has a few backyard mechanic hole repairs. At least one that i did. I haven't ever dropped a gastank, but i'm pretty skilled with cars, so i think i can handle it.

Anything i should know before i just dive in dropping this tank?

Does anyone out there have a good repair technique for gastank leaks? I might not be able to afford a new tank.

And number 3, if i need a new gastank, are the ones they list for '64-66 A bodies' necessarily going to fit? I may be naive, but it seems like gas tanks are shaped just a little different on different models?

Any insight would be helpful, since i can't drive a car that gets 19 miles per gallon and leaks 2 gallons per mile.

It's rather unnerving so walk out and see your car surrounded by a pool of gasoline. Happened to me too, in a parking garage. Tamraz on ebay sells new tanks, just over $200 delivered, well worth it for peace of mind...if you patch the old one it's only a matter of time before it leaks again, also, it probably has a lot of crud in it. Other vendors sell tanks too but beware of the ones made in Taiwan or Mexico, you want the one made in Canada.

the hardest part is the "J" bolt usually has undercoat/rust & is a bear to remove.
everything is straight forward---- the seal will probably need replaced around the filler neck.
the ground clip will most likley break when you try to remove it-- the part wedged to the frame---
Is it leaking from said repairs-- or has the cold weather brought about a new leak/seal problem?

Someone hear should have a decent used tank-- good Luck ,Lawrence

Ya, it dripping from one of those repairs. The more i think about it, the less inclined i am to repair any holes again and just bite the bullet and go for a good tank.

Because i plan to keep this car for another 20 years, so no sense in half assing it.

That Canadian tank is the one you want. That is the one I put in my 66 Dart and I have no complaints. If you are keeping it, it is better to bite the bullet and just do it.

Are you still in town or down at the coast? If you are in town, you are welcome to swing by and do it here in the garage if you can slow it down enough to get it here. I am no expert, but have done 2 of them.8)

Ya, I'll be in san antonio another 10 months. I might take you up on that. The only thing i have is a parking lot. Right now its sealed with JB weld, so the big leak is not there for now. Some gas is still oozing from somewhere.

i just got the new tank from fed ex. Problem is i have my finals going on right now. so i can't set several hours in a day to do the job. Any estimates on how much time it takes?

Also, i forgot i'll need the filler neck grommet. I'm sure mine is the one that came with the car. So, in an effort to solve all the problems in that area right now, i'm going to put it off 'till that gets here.

Anything else i could do while the tank is out? I saw some hoses when i was in there inspecting the area, so i'm going to put new hoses. All the metal lines seem fine. Anything i should check on the sending unit while its out? I'll post again when i get on the job.

-
Back