Well you can't dump septic waste into the septic system

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Guy here locally calls him / themselves "The Rooter Guy." EPA busted him for dumping pumped septic waste into the sewer system. Big, big, felony fine

http://www.clearwatertribune.com/ne...cle_a45d5350-8e4e-11e5-8eec-cfcd1fb0d59f.html

Hayden Septic Waste Business Violates the Clean Water Act

COEUR D'ALENE - The Rooter Guy, LLC, and its founder Ben Broyles, pleaded guilty today in federal court to violating the Clean Water Act, U.S. Attorney Wendy J. Olson announced. The Rooter Guy, LLC admitted to the commission of a felony and Broyles a misdemeanor.

According to the plea agreements, between March 17, 2014, and May 16, 2014, the defendants violated the Clean Water Act by pumping septic waste into the City of Hayden’s municipal sewer system operated by the Hayden Area Regional Sewer Board.

Although The Rooter Guy, LLC is licensed to collect septic waste from commercial and residential customers, it is required to dispose of septic waste at facilities designed to collect and treat waste in accordance with environmental considerations and EPA regulation. Hayden’s municipal sewer system is not designed to accept and treat septic waste.

Sentencing is set for February 2, 2016, before Chief U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill at the United States Courthouse in Coeur d’Alene.

The case was investigated by the Environmental Protection Agency with the assistance of the City of Hayden, the Hayden Area Regional Sewer Board, Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Secret Service, and the Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office.

Just got his reward

http://www.publicnow.com/view/841FB71EE7A4A3ABDECDAE58DA7682F604FA7A45?4840xxx1454455930

COEUR D'ALENE - The Rooter Guy, LLC, and its founder Ben Broyles, 62, of Hayden, Idaho, were sentenced today in federal court for violating the Clean Water Act, U.S. Attorney Wendy J. Olson announced. The Rooter Guy, LLC was sentenced to three years organization probation. Ben Broyles, the majority owner and operator of The Rooter Guy, LLC was also sentenced to three years of probation. Chief U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill also ordered that Broyles and his corporation pay a $17,000 fine and $4,000 in restitution to the City of Hayden, and to perform 100 hours of community service. Guilty pleas were entered on November 18, 2015. -

might as well piss in your coffee . Ask Flint Michigan about EPA REGULATIONS

So why isn't the city being prosecuted for operating an illegal sewage dump? Something tells me somebody had a hard-on for this guy.

Jack

That's pretty stupid. Where is he supposed to dump it? Out in a county ditch? Apparently he didn't check to see if the local sewage treatment plant is authorized to handle such waste. ( the sludge at the bottom of a septic tank) If not they must just have a lagoon and not a treatment plant.

That's pretty stupid. Where is he supposed to dump it? Out in a county ditch? Apparently he didn't check to see if the local sewage treatment plant is authorized to handle such waste. ( the sludge at the bottom of a septic tank) If not they must just have a lagoon and not a treatment plant.

He is licensed to collect and transport residential and commercial waste and he knows exactly where it needs to go to be treated. He just didn't want to pay for it.

The guy broke the law for sure, but the EPA are a bunch of A**holes

He is licensed to collect and transport residential and commercial waste and he knows exactly where it needs to go to be treated. He just didn't want to pay for it.

Exactly, you have to get a license for that and up here you have to apply for it and disclose which APPROVED site it is being disposed at.

The idiot charged his customers to remove it and wanted the city to deal with it?

Although Im curious as to what the city has for sewage treatment.

Just checked their site out and a full WWTP extended aeration at end of the airport

http://www.harsb.org/Wastewater Treatment Facility Plan Final November 2012.htm

Here they back up to the whirly turds at the sewage treatment plant and dump it.

The solids at the bottom of the pits or tanks are the same stuff that is at the bottom of a septic tank. Filters will collect the solid objects that won't decompose.

With treatment plants you have to keep bugs/bacteria alive so they break down the suspended solids.
Costly problems if the bugs die. Thats why most places don't allow dumping into municipal systems.

Other than cost, Steve, I've no idea what they do. Maybe they store it and "meter" it into the system in lesser amounts

Another old story from the old days. This concerns my old (RIP) electrical engineer friend from San Diego. This happened when he was living / working in Tucson. He had a girlfriend, on a septic, who had a fair amount of trouble, and "had to have it pumped" way too often. Turns out much of that was "the same guy."

So Gary arranged to be there when the guy next came. The pumped the tank, then put some back. Gary asked him, and the guy came up with some BS about "having to put back some of the solids."

Gary told him, "well," (I can picture him adjusting his glasses) "there's several ways we can go here. I'm a licensed civil engineer."

(He didn't tell the guy he was an ELECTRICAL engineer.)

"We can call the police, we can do this, or that, OR, you can pump out her tank, for free, leave, and don't ever come back, ever."

My understanding is that troubles with her septic diminished a great deal.

Does the guy look like Eddie?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9sY6iH9Ojg"]Christmas Vacation - Sh*tter was full - YouTube[/ame]

Other than cost, Steve, I've no idea what they do. Maybe they store it and "meter" it into the system in lesser amounts

The influent and effluent are both metered. There are process changes made everyday to optimize treatment.
Industrial waste can kill all the needed bacteria and will cause an "upset" which depending on plant capacity it may lead to bypass/discharge... BAD

Another old story from the old days. This concerns my old (RIP) electrical engineer friend from San Diego. This happened when he was living / working in Tucson. He had a girlfriend, on a septic, who had a fair amount of trouble, and "had to have it pumped" way too often. Turns out much of that was "the same guy."

So Gary arranged to be there when the guy next came. The pumped the tank, then put some back. Gary asked him, and the guy came up with some BS about "having to put back some of the solids."

Gary told him, "well," (I can picture him adjusting his glasses) "there's several ways we can go here. I'm a licensed civil engineer."

(He didn't tell the guy he was an ELECTRICAL engineer.)

"We can call the police, we can do this, or that, OR, you can pump out her tank, for free, leave, and don't ever come back, ever."

My understanding is that troubles with her septic diminished a great deal.

These kind of tricks happen every day. Pump a little, decant the water(and whatever solids you can get away with back to the tank), send a bill, and move on to the next customer. Do this all day long, and hopefully end up with a small load that needs to be disposed of at the treatment plant, and there is your profit. This happens with septic tanks and grease traps every day. Now once the load ends up at the treatment plant, that is another arm of the business. A treatment plant has a per gallon charge to dispose of waste streams, be it industrial or municipal. They are equipped to handle both in up to a certain strength that they can clean up and meet discharge limits. They charge X to dispose of your waste, have Y as a treatment cost, and that is their profit.

-
Back