Went to Junk Yard for First Time in Months....Here's What I Found

-
Ok, went and looked at the 77 Truck with the Chrome valve covers and square bore intake.

Discovered, actually, that it's a 400. For some reason on this one I failed to check for the pad on the front. When I was scraping the oil off the side of the block for the year and numbers, I found that it is a 400....obviously, cast crank. Someone must have put an old 383 intake on it as well as the valve covers. The valve covers had the wire tabs on em so they appear to be factory....not sure though. Any thoughts?

That truck sure looks clean. If that were a RB, I would think about going down to get the manifold and snagging the valve covers as well.

Did you get any parts when you went back to look at the engine like the bell housing?

:burnout:

Attachments

• 20141212_120248.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 20141212_133116.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 20141212_133207.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 20141212_133155.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 163
  • 20141212_133136.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 20141212_133128.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 20141212_121713.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 172
there is a pretty mean snow storm charging up from what hear for this weekend so tomorrow might be the last good day in awhile to pirate parts from this yard :protest:

Would like to have had that white Ramcharger before they started pulling parts, looks clean on what is left there.

Don't find them like that in Indiana

rani you should have took that 1bbl off .

I thought about it but I don't need it and if someone else needs it then the OP can get it and make a few dollars (seriously if he wants to)

That place has gone up on prices since the first time I went there years ago and I am already pushing it with what I got. :evil3:

I love the way they stick you for a 15 dollar environmental fee for sheetmetal :finga:

sometimes you just cant.......if someone saves that 440, that will be sweet. I don't have the cash or energy to pull a 440 and I don't really need anymore. Sometimes you have to draw the line.

If you want the one barrel then I hope the OP can get and cut a deal that works for you both :)

At least I scored a battery tray that looks almost new. Not even surface rust :D

Attachments

• 20141212_154343.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 20141212_153757.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 161
no i dont need it i just hate to see it go to wast lol Even if i did need it i dont have the green to get it lol

I would be very interested in the rear wheel well chrome trim and the trunk floor mat from that Valiant. Thanks. Shane

I would be very interested in the rear wheel well chrome trim and the trunk floor mat from that Valiant. Thanks. Shane

The OP will probably get there before I do because it took me about an hour and 20 mins to get there and I think the OP is a whole bunch closer. I may go up there again for something else and if I do.......if not I am sure someone can get there real soon.

There is a snow storm in forecast for sunday so next week might be a mess for that place. I think the car has a week or two before crush because its on row 6 and they are working row 4 for crush and its a long row.

I tell you one thing about mopar .....you learn something new everyday.

I always assumed most of the front end sheetmetal was basically the same for 73-6 ...WRONG.

75 and 76 have sooooooo many differences from the 73/4. I figured the 75/6 grille would bolt right up to a 73/4 ....not really. The tie bar that goes from fender to fender under the grille is completely different and the fenders have a few tabs for mounting the grille that the earlier fenders don't. The little tie bar that goes from the fender to the bumper bracket is completely different.

To do it right one would almost need the whole front end to avoid any problem that may come from mixing and matching parts from different years.

Thanks for the response rani! What year is your Valiant?

I don't have a valiant ....I took the front end for a dream duster build .....basically I have a 72 duster but I am putting the later and in my opinion better looking front end on it :D

Hey check out what they want for the 77 bellhousing, try to grab the dust cover and clutch fork.
I can use in on my truck.
PM me please.

I don't have a valiant ....I took the front end for a dream duster build .....basically I have a 72 duster but I am putting the later and in my opinion better looking front end on it :D

I totally agree. My 74 Valiant is a dart with a duster front end. It is a Brogham addition. It has chrome trim around the front of the hood around the lights and a hood emblem. The grill is also chrome highlighted. There was a guy who had the trim for sale on here. I bought the hood emblem from him. My car has only 42000 on it, but his hood emblem was perfect.

Attachments

• 20141101_190555.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20141101_190611.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 126
Wow, those Ramchargers are a treasure trove of parts! Maybe send Memike a PM...he might need some parts from those. Did you happen to notice if they had a decent pair of tail lights? My dad could use a pair for his 84 Truck

The ones in the blue one look pretty good...

I didn't know they made an 8-lug 9 1/4" rear?? That was new to me.

Ran to 2003 in 2500 and 3500 series vans. (Note: if you're gear-hunting, most of those had 3.91's or 4.10's.)

Ok, went and looked at the 77 Truck with the Chrome valve covers and square bore intake.

Discovered, actually, that it's a 400. For some reason on this one I failed to check for the pad on the front. When I was scraping the oil off the side of the block for the year and numbers, I found that it is a 400....obviously, cast crank. Someone must have put an old 383 intake on it as well as the valve covers. The valve covers had the wire tabs on em so they appear to be factory....not sure though. Any thoughts?

WHOA, FULL STOP! You need to grab the motor! Little-known fact about Mopar big-blocks (thank you E-berg): manual-shift vehicles got forged cranks, because the cast cranks were not drilled for a pilot bushing. (Anecdotal evidence: my friend's 4-speed 1972 Satellite has a steel-crank 400.)

And heck: 400's don't grow on trees anymore! :(

Hmmm hopefully the truck is still in there. It looked like it had an externally balanced balancer, unless they still externally balanced the forged cranked 400??

Wait...I thought it was a 4-speed?

I iz confuzzled...

Unless...nah. I do not dare to hope it's a REBUILT engine that was balanced...do I? :)

-
Back