Went to track.... Need to fine tune it.

-

fastback383

Reaction score
Could only get a 14.6 , not impressed. Seemed to launch good, just was not making the HP it should ? Ran smooth up to 6400 rpm. Tried shifting at different rpms , 5500 to 6400 , kept running the same times. Going to try to degree in the cam, maybe advance it a couple of degrees, short times were 2.03- 2.04 was hoping for somwwhere in the 1.80's . Well it was my first time to the dragstrip in 17 years , it will be better the next time. Will hit the 13's yet. Or I will blow up this old 400 tryin. fastback 383'

106_0693.jpg

106_0696.jpg

The extra weight of those hubcaps are probably slowing you down! :geek:

looks like it was launching pretty good. whats your mph, wieght and trap rpm ?

60 ft-2.050
330ft-6.060
1/8 mile- 9.357
1000 ft- 12.221
1/4 mile- [email protected]

I do not know what it weighs ? It is completly stock, nothing fancy, I know the motor has alot of miles and the compression is not that great, but it does not blow any oil. I was expecting at least a 13.99 out of it. I would have been happy with that. I also have the Mopar electronic ignition with the orange box and some light springs in the distributor. It reaches full advance just pas idle. It is set at 33 degrees, I bumped it up to 36 at the track but it ran exactly the same. ? Time for some headwork maybe, I have a set of 452's sitting on the bench waiting for the grinder. I am not sure what year the motor was ( I was so pissed off at the 383 at the time I just bought this on and crammed it in just so I could drive it ), but I know the heads are garbage. The worst cast heads I have seen , the intake ports were very rough and not rectangular at all. They are a mess, so I think I am losing alot with them. I will keep plugging away, it will hit the 13's yet !
106_0693.jpg

I did a big burnout on the first pass because the slicks have been sitting around 89 when I had them on the back of my Buick Grand National ( 12.98 @ 104 ) . I thought they may be a little dried out on the surface, they still work great though. As for the plug reading , no I did not do a check on them. I have a 750 Holley Vac Secondary with 76 jets front and rear.

451310_80.gif

This is with the 383? I would think that you should be able to get it going faster than that. What's done to the motor? What did you launch at? How much air in the slicks? Did it spin out of the hole or grip? Open or locked rear? Tranny? What kind of slicks?

-
Back