Western Canada Road Trip! - Plan to join me

-

Done Swimmin

Reaction score
Hey All

I am picking up my car in May 2024 and driving it back across western Canada. Will be leaving Vancouver and heading east.

I will be posting along the way and I wanted to shout out to the FABO members to join me in the trip where possible.

I will follow up in the spring with hard dates and approx times for various locales. Hoping to meet a bunch of you folks along the way.

Pete

IMG_3202.jpg

Hey All

Not sure of the route as yet. Open to suggestions. Leaving Van and heading to Southern Onterrible - Peterborough!

If you go through on highway 3 through Southern Alberta, I would like to meet you and see the car.
I'm in Lethbridge, just south of Calgary by about 2 1/2 hours where highway 1 goes through.
There are a few members in my area I'm sure would like to meet up with you.
Nice ride, BTW!

If you go through on highway 3 through Southern Alberta, I would like to meet you and see the car.
I'm in Lethbridge, just south of Calgary by about 2 1/2 hours where highway 1 goes through.
Nice ride, BTW!
Yup, I will do my best to meet up with you if you come through this way.

So you'll be coming across the Trans Canada............

From Hwy 17 in North Bay Ontario go South on Hwy 11 towards The Haliburtons. I am a little South West of North Bay on Commanda Lake.

NO NO NO.. you don't want to go to Peterborough !! It was so bad that I left when I was 9 months old.. LOL

Seriously, hope your new digs have a garage, the city has gone a little wacko in the past few years....

Hey All

I am picking up my car in May 2024 and driving it back across western Canada. Will be leaving Vancouver and heading east.

I will be posting along the way and I wanted to shout out to the FABO members to join me in the trip where possible.

I will follow up in the spring with hard dates and approx times for various locales. Hoping to meet a bunch of you folks along the way.

Pete

View attachment 1716153320
I live in the Fraser Valley and would be interested in tagging along for a bit.

Traveling from coast to coast in Canada is tops on my bucket list, I could only imagine the beautiful scenery you’ll see.

Traveling from coast to coast in Canada is tops on my bucket list, I could only imagine the beautiful scenery you’ll see.
We've crossed a couple of times............We live in an absolutely beautiful county with some fabulous folks. The far north is next........

Update us with your plans in early Spring once you’ve firmed things up.

Consider Hwy 3 if you go along southern BC or Hwy 5 up thru to Edmonton. Depending on the drivetrain in the Dart, ripping along at 130kmh on a divided hwy (Coquihalla or Okanogan connector) might not be all fun.

You picking the car up in Vancouver, Surrey, Maple Ridge, Langley, Abbotsford or? If south of the Fraser (ie: not North Shore, Vancouver, Burnaby or Coquitlam) would you head west a bit before going east again? Or head west a bit to take Hwy 99 past Whistler as the scenery along the way is great.

Regardless it should be a good trip. And by May you shouldn‘t need to worry about snow in the mountain passes.

Last edited:
Regardless it should be a good trip. And by May you shouldn‘t need to worry about snow in the mountain passes.
I've seen some heavy snow in late May in the mountains before, got stuck on a pass east of Osoyoos because of a snowstorm one year. Woke up to a foot of fresh snow in Pincher Creek Alberta that same year, around May long weekend.

I did a big road trip last year and Moparfest was the last thing I did before storing the car in Pennsylvania for the winter. I plan to pick up my 70 Dart and head to Moparfest in August 2024 and then drive another 5000 miles on Rt 66 and the Pacific Coast Highway back home to Washington State. Look me up when you are there. I'm gonna regret this, but what or who is the Arshole club? Would I have seen them there last August?

DSC00465.JPG

Although not directly in your route, you may wish to consider traveling highway 93 from Lake Louise to Jasper. This is considered one of the most beautiful drives in North America, tourists world over travel it annually. I and my friends take a trip annually, usually 5-6 old cars from Edson to Radium BC for the Columbia Valley car show every September. Always a highlight! There is just something about road trips in old cars.

20230917_133009.jpg

20230917_133019.jpg

20230917_105825.jpg

20230917_105811.jpg

Nice ride, BTW!
I'll have to look you up next time I come South. Inlaws live in Coaldale.

Although not directly in your route, you may wish to consider traveling highway 93 from Lake Louise to Jasper. This is considered one of the most beautiful drives in North America, tourists world over travel it annually. I and my friends take a trip annually, usually 5-6 old cars from Edson to Radium BC for the Columbia Valley car show every September. Always a highlight! There is just something about road trips in old cars.

View attachment 1716154277

View attachment 1716154278

View attachment 1716154279

View attachment 1716154280
Agreed.................From Jasper, East on the Yellowhead Hwy. We did both the Yellowhead and Hwy1, and found the Yellowhead much more scenic. The rolling Prairies blew me away.

IMG_0536.JPG

I've driven that highway and completely agree, it's a really beautiful route, and a pleasure to drive too!

I drove from Helana Montana up through Radium BC to Lake Louise and to Calgary , some of the nicest scenery i ever saw . The mountains are beautiful when you never get to see them . I really enjoyed the mountain goats in Radium and also there was a big buck in the hotel parking lot when i woke up early one morning .

I did a big road trip last year and Moparfest was the last thing I did before storing the car in Pennsylvania for the winter. I plan to pick up my 70 Dart and head to Moparfest in August 2024 and then drive another 5000 miles on Rt 66 and the Pacific Coast Highway back home to Washington State. Look me up when you are there. I'm gonna regret this, but what or who is the Arshole club? Would I have seen them there last August?

View attachment 1716154246
Yes, they were there but it's a non-club club. There are no meetings (except Moparfest), dues or initiation. They only have a window sticker that flags the vehicle.

-
Back