Wet Carpet

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rained the last few days and again I have a wet carpet. I was watching where it wight be leaking and I’ve come to the conclusion it’s the corners of the window gasket. It’s a 66 Valiant Signant. I replaced the gasket last spring thinking that would cure the problem. I guess it didnt. Wondering if the glass shop can shoot some sealant up under the gasket?

Vent stacks inside the cowl maybe?

IMG_2139.JPG

Like said cowl leak but YES you can have leakat new installed windshield gasket. I had such on 2 new installed windshields by glass man with 30 years experrience. Why? They hate to use that windshield sealant as IF they ever have to pull it, such is a *****.

Rained the last few days and again I have a wet carpet. I was watching where it wight be leaking and I’ve come to the conclusion it’s the corners of the window gasket. It’s a 66 Valiant Signant. I replaced the gasket last spring thinking that would cure the problem. I guess it didnt. Wondering if the glass shop can shoot some sealant up under the gasket?
To remedy this I put black RTV in the gasket slot. Quite a bit. That goes over the pinch weld. Then I place gasket on the car, holding it in place with blue masking tape. Then push it all the way on the pinch weld. let it sit for a while, hour or so, then install glass and lock strip. Works for me....

Get under there and see where it's leaking- no guessing! Have a friend wet it with the hose.
My "rust free" 66 had water pouring in like niagra falls. Cowl was completely rusted away, not that you could see from under the hood...gone,:BangHead:

Wiper pivot seals like to leak as well. Only real way to tell is to check with a hose or run through automatic car wash

I had the same problem with my 70 Dart. New gasket, and sealant, but it would still leak a small amount in the bottom corner of the driver's side if I was driving it in rain. I added more sealant to that area and it seemed to stop.

Well, being in the Phoenix area we don’t get much rain so I’ll wait for awhile before using the hose. I’ll have to remove the seats to get under the dash

I had the same problem with my 70 Dart. New gasket, and sealant, but it would still leak a small amount in the bottom corner of the driver's side if I was driving it in rain. I added more sealant to that area and it seemed to stop.
What type of seaalnt? everywhere I went last year they sold me butyl rope caulk for windshields. Id love some squeeze in stuff from a tube.

What type of seaalnt? everywhere I went last year they sold me butyl rope caulk for windshields. Id love some squeeze in stuff from a tube.
An old timer told me if the windshield guys doesn't use Butyl, find another windshield guy. I respected this fellows opinion. He had been in the game for years.

I'm hoping to get to this part soon. I have this on hand and will give it a try

1700529237534966719409.jpg

EDIT:

He said "wet carpet"......he heh heh heh....sorry....I'm juvenile...Im ok with this.

Last edited:
An old timer told me if the windshield guys doesn't use Butyl, find another windshield guy. I respected this fellows opinion. He had been in the game for years.
Butyl sounds like what I used, got it from a friend who was a glass guy.

-
Back