wet sand steps

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey FABO!
I am approaching the wet sand process and have a few 'What Would FABO Do' questions.

The car was painted last year in my garage. It has flat black base and parts are gloss clear and parts are flat clear to achieve desired finish. I have small little ridge where those two clears come together that will be sanded flat during the wet sand process. I cant remember how many coats of clear I put on but I think its three. Of course there will be the cut and buff after, but my questions are.....

1. What is the start grit? end grit?

2. What wheels do you think I should choose for cut and buff? are they all the same? waffle guy then wool? eastwood?

3. this is the biggie. I have no glass or trim on car. It has dust on it. I dont want to spray down with water as it will get inside car but maybe thats what needs to be done. Is there a process maybe just use the 'panel clean' that I used in between coats to wipe car down?

4. I have used a paint stir stick in the past with soapy water for wrapping my wet sand paper around. Is there something better?

Thanks youz!

Clem
20201101_112558.jpg

If you rub the flat areas with anything it will get shiny. Also this will happen from repeatedly touching a spot with your hands. If you decide to wet sand and buff the gloss area make sure you mask the flat spots off. If you get any compound on the flat stuff it will stain it..... You won't get rid of the hard tape line.

Flat anything will not take well with wet sanding. Mask the line, 1/32” down abd sand. That being said, you need a test panel. Someting to experiment on. Or add a stripe.

Not quite clear. No pun intended.
If you want flat result. Your stuck with what you got.

From what I know you would need to assemble car and blast a flat clear over everything. If I understand. I won't go into why that might be.
30 years of paint experience.
Pm me for more info on actual preference

Dave

Ok, I will tape off flat color and stay away from it. Ill tape just inside the ridge to make it smooth.

thanks a bunch fellas!!

-
Back