wet sanding / buffing

-

ir3333

Reaction score
how long does this take?
say a panel / fender at time ... 1 1/2 hr per section?

It can take awhile depending on how you go about it and how much cutting you need to do, what grit you start at etc. You can get 1200,1500,2000 grit discs for a da and it'll speed the process up, but Imho it doesn't produce the same results as going over it with a hard block. Start to finish clean up, I'd say takes me 2 days to go over an entire car, but I don't move as fast as I used to either.

..1500 is soaking as i type,starting shortly.
1st time...fingers crossed!

Be careful on panel edges and corners.
easy to sand thru clear coat into
color, you don't want to have to repaint.

D

I don't watch the clock, different panels take longer than others.
Block it until you're happy with it, not when an hour and a half is up.

Depends on what you are starting with. The better the paint starting, the less time. Took me a long time, did everything wrong the first few times.
DR:coffee2:

Just finished, left rear quarter sanded flat w / 1500,not buffed yet.
...it was not easy...that paint was very,very hard! (urethane)

If it needs a lot of cutting might want to do a knockdown with 1200 and run back over with 1500. Save some time

Depends a lot on what compounds and polishing pads your using and mostly the characteristics of the clear your working with. A lot of the new generation clears are what called scratch resistant which means they are tougher to sand and a lot harder to polish. Regardless of the clear the finer grit you finish with the easier it will be to polish out and the less chances of going thru and time spent on body lines. I personally would finish with 3000 grit. Another tip I might offer is always try to polish off of body lines and not into them and careful with rpm, you want the compound to do the cutting and not heat the clear up too much. Not something you want to rush, I'm sure it's going to turn out nice!

So after 1500, 2500 or 3000 will make buffing noticeably easier?
I've done a bunch of research but it's not the same as doing it
...i'll work away at it over the next few days..this is supposed to be fun.
...i'm open to any tips...

Snake..you're on your own,but i'll supervise when i'm done if you like.. lol!

Don't you just hate those guys that come over after your finished
and say "well,you know what you should have done"

When I did my car, I started with 1200, then 1500, 2000, 2500. It was a light coloured car which is difficult to see the sanding scratches in. So I used 3M dry coat, which is a dry guide coat material. It is a fine powder and goes into the sanding scratches making them visible. So I would apply guide coat, and sand till it was all gone. Then reapply the guide coat and sand with the next higher grit. Worked very well. I masked all edges with the blue thin Masking tape to protect them. Turned out awesume. Then I buffed it out using meguirs product.

So after 1500, 2500 or 3000 will make buffing noticeably easier?
I've done a bunch of research but it's not the same as doing it
...i'll work away at it over the next few days..this is supposed to be fun.
...i'm open to any tips...

Snake..you're on your own,but i'll supervise when i'm done if you like.. lol!

Don't you just hate those guys that come over after your finished
and say "well,you know what you should have done"

O ya there are tons of no it allsssssssssssssssss. good luck I know it will turn out great .

-
Back