We've got color !!!

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
But not on the Duster.

I decided it was time to get my favorite bass fixed up. I bought it about 2 years ago, it was already repaint once in pearl white over the original ugly dark red. The repaint was terrible, very think and was easily scratched off the surface. Removing a sticker from it just peeled the paint right from the primer.

I started by sanding it down with 80 grit which took the white paint job right off (a heat gun would have worked also). I feathered any nicks and scratches out, then re-sanded with 180. I then layed on a few coats of primer and let it sit for 48hrs before sanding it with 400 grit. I then stuck it in the corner for a month to make sure that when the primer shrunk it wouldnt leave any sand scratches behind.

Today was slow at work so I decided it was time for paint. I started by laying down 3 coats of metallic white. Next I mixed up the biggest metallic flake House of Colors sells with some clear mixing base and layed down 2 coats. I kinda wish I laid a third but I didnt want to completely cover the white base.

After the flake flashed I laid down 4 coats of clear. The flake is so big that the clear doesnt lay down flat over it so it needs to dry then be wet sanding with 1000 grit to smooth it out, then lay more clear. before the final wet sand (1000 grit, 3000 grit, 5000 grit) and buff. Its gonna look a mile deep when its done and I may end up having to do my Precision Special next.

Attachments

• 773635_10200211800075214_769451467_o.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 279
  • 774698_10200211796995137_1173404740_o.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 256
Looks great Adam. If you can do that nice work to your bass, your Duster is next. tmm

I thought you were going to get rid of your old black and white TV?

No reason to get rid of the black and white TV. I have comcast and my service never seems to work anyway.

Looks Great!! I got an old Yamaha PF-85 Keyboard that has seen it's share of road rage. I'll send it to you for a refurb when I get back on my feet if you are interested...

Looks good,Adam.Might consider refinishing musical instruments. Part of the "feed the family and Mopar" fund.

Thanks guys. Oh she'd one in BASF waterborne base if anyone was wondering.

nice job, this one have frets or is it a guessing game ha ha... never was much good on the axe. Its normal to sand out and reclear the metal flake jobs . You want it smooth and the flakes will really pop. I did my motorcyle helmet in rainbow and it looks like a disco ball on my head... last car I did like this was in the 70's a VW Thing

Yes its fretted. I kinda figured from the start I was going to have to sand and reclear it with such a big flake. Heres a before pic.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 188
Nice work Adam, looks good! I'm actually in the process of painting a Fender Stratocaster right now, blue with big flake and polka dots.

Actually,a question,or two. Shot Base/ Clear a few times.How did you like the water base? And ,at what temp,did you shoot it? Sorry Adam,had to ask.........

Details on the job man! Anything special you had to do, that might set it aside from painting a car?

My 50th Anniversary Stratocaster has seen better days and I always wanted to paint it Rallye Red or Hemi Orange, with a 340 Stripe :D

Actually,a question,or two. Shot Base/ Clear a few times.How did you like the water base? And ,at what temp,did you shoot it? Sorry Adam,had to ask.........

It seemed to spray fine to me. It was 70* in the booth

Details on the job man! Anything special you had to do, that might set it aside from painting a car?

My 50th Anniversary Stratocaster has seen better days and I always wanted to paint it Rallye Red or Hemi Orange, with a 340 Stripe :D

Nothing special. I used 2K primer and sanded it with 400 dry.

I decided I want more flake in it so I blocked it down with 1000 grit. Im going to use a smaller red and gold flake this time instead of the big silver flakes. Then 3 more coats of clear. This is fun to do. Its small so its not a ton of prep work.

Im already planning on doing a second one in black with the same flake.

Attachments

• 798259_10200222510102958_1694714973_o.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 97
-
Back