What 4 bbl Intake and Carb for 360

-

MadMaxCustoms

Reaction score
Hello

Just received a 360 out of a 76 Dodge RV that came with a 727 auto trans.

It came stock 2 bbl. Ive already stripped the A/C Compressor and a few other odds and ends un wanted.

I want to put a 4bbl performance intake with a holley 4bbl carb. Ive heard this will help.

1. Thoughts on what Intake and Carb?
2. Does anyone know any other things I can do to "freshen" this engine without rebuilding?

Thanks in advanced.

Weiand action plus intake and a 670 street avenger Holley

Weiand action plus intake and a 670 street avenger Holley

The action plus is for a square bore carb, I would recommend the stealth with square bore over the action plus for a square bore carb. Plus the stealth has a wider power band...

The action plus is for a square bore carb, I would recommend the stealth with square bore over the action plus for a square bore carb. Plus the stealth has a wider power band...

Either would work, just threw out a different combo that works well. Action plus is idle to 5500, nice power band. And 5500 isn't the limit. I have one now on a car, and I had it on my '65 Ply 318. Really impressed on the low end. Very crisp. It will pull to any mild cam, header combo.

I like the stealth intake. Nicer than the edelbrock 318/360 performer and probably better suited to your needs than the rpm.

The Edelbrock Performer RPM intakes are hard to beat on street engines.

The Edelbrock Performer RPM intakes are hard to beat on street engines.

I've heard nothing but good about the RPM's. I bought a new one for a magnum motor that I'm going to use........ If I ever get around to it ... LOL

The Weiand Action Plus has 318 ports. I would go the Eddy route

Either would work, just threw out a different combo that works well. Action plus is idle to 5500, nice power band. And 5500 isn't the limit. I have one now on a car, and I had it on my '65 Ply 318. Really impressed on the low end. Very crisp. It will pull to any mild cam, header combo.

I don't like the adapters. I like to match the intake to the carb.

If you are going spread bore, then the action plus is the way to go...

If you are going square bore, then go with the stealth...

Then use a 1/4" - 5/16" thick carb base gasket to help insulate the carb from heat and fuel boiling...

I don't like the adapters. I like to match the intake to the carb.

If you are going spread bore, then the action plus is the way to go...

If you are going square bore, then go with the stealth...

Then use a 1/4" - 5/16" thick carb base gasket to help insulate the carb from heat and fuel boiling...

No adapter needed. I've had an eddy, a 770 street avenger and right now there is a 670 street avenger on my Action Plus. Never used an adapter. Works perfect!

I polished a turd(reman 360) by finding better heads,a small cam upgrade,alum intake and 4bbl.I went with an edelbrock performer(free)intake,opened up the intake ports to the 360 heads,and a Holley spreadbore 650 with an electric choke.

Any decent aluminum dual plane and a 600/650 carb should do well.Just don't overcam it as compression is likely low.

No adapter needed. I've had an eddy, a 770 street avenger and right now there is a 670 street avenger on my Action Plus. Never used an adapter. Works perfect!

So the square bore carb will bolt onto the action plus without an adapter?? I didn't know that.

Hello

It came stock 2 bbl. Ive already stripped the A/C Compressor and a few other odds and ends un wanted.

I want to put a 4bbl performance intake with a holley 4bbl carb. Ive heard this will help.

2. Does anyone know any other things I can do to "freshen" this engine without rebuilding?

Thanks in advanced.

Great suggestions, buy the intake first, then pick a carb.
As for the motor, you have to change the oil pan and pickup.
Tear the front off the motor, replace the timing chain, run it.

Great suggestions, buy the intake first, then pick a carb.
As for the motor, you have to change the oil pan and pickup.
Tear the front off the motor, replace the timing chain, run it.

If you're in there for the chain, you may as well pop a cam in it....

Cam, intake, carb, dual exhaust, is all you need to wake it up, along with a good chain to keep everything from getting too sloppy....

If on a budget I would recommend a 72 and up factory spread bore intake and thermoquad

Can I use the stock components and just replace with the xe268 or do i need to replace valves/lifters etc...???

check the recommended spring rate for the xe268, then compare it to what your heads came with stock. If it's the same or close, then you should be ok, if it's stiffer, then I would at least upgrade the springs to the recommended rate. If you over rev it with too soft of springs, you can hit a piston with a valve and blow a huge chunk out of the engine - I did it before...

It's not worth ruining a block, crank, and taking out a rod or two to save the price of a set of springs...

So just have to drop the cam in. Degree the cam then I'm good to go? Maybe replace springs? That is awesome.
Did this make a considerable difference for you??

Here's another nice cam that sedanman has in his 340.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k6901

Scroll down the page here to see the videos of when we got it started for break in. It sounds nice and idles well.

Check out the video in post #230 here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=211139&page=10

The 268 is a little big in a stock 360, IMO. I think you would be happier with something like the Comp 265 DEH.

Also, if fuel mileage is of any concern whatsoever, leave the Holley style carburetors on the shelf. The 600 Edelbrock is all you will ever need on a mild street driven 360. It will be much more crisp as far as response and get much better economy.

Hello

Thanks in advanced.

What car is this going in and the cars weight?
What is the gear ratio and tire size?
What transmission?
What is the intended purpose of the car?

Freshen up the 360 by your own hand? can you home your own cylinders?

Here's another nice cam that sedanman has in his 340.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k6901

Scroll down the page here to see the videos of when we got it started for break in. It sounds nice and idles well.

Check out the video in post #230 here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=211139&page=10

Never heard of anybody breaking in a cam with constant RPM, rings either....constantly changing RPM 2000+ gets the lifters spinning in bores and oil slinging from between rods to splash oil cam.

-
Back