What? A 69 GTX?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
So the wife and I take a drive to another small town out in the sticks to pick up something she saw on craiglist.
On the way I'm telling her that I think I am going to start looking for cars sitting around that I can fix up, flip and make some money off of.
Not 10 minutes later I see this sitting behind and old building off the side of the road.
Owner says "my Nephew says he's going to restore that some day so it's not for sale".
Old woman says she bought it new in 1969.

1969 440 badged GTX 4 speed.
Sorry about getting my fingers in the pictures.

The only rust of consequence was about 2-3 inches of the passenger side rear quarter.
Otherwise nobody damage to speak of.
The radiator and water pump are gone, but the rest of the 440 is there.
The material on the interior is trash, but all the parts are intact (dash and all)
I messed up the picture of the rear end, but all the lenses and bezels are there.

To bad I couldn't get it for 500 bucks eh? :D

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 638
  • 3.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 637
  • 4.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 613
  • 5.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 600
HA!! that's funny how someone put a GTX emblem on a roadrunner/satellite grille. Some people get inventive for sure. That is definitely unique how they did that.

this would be what a GTX/Sport satellite grille looks like. The headlight bezels are also different for GTX/Satellite from other ones. The roadrunner headlight bezels ones are exact same shape as the belvedere/satellite but they are usually painted with the black insert like those ones. The satellite/ Belvedere were silver.

Attachments

• 20150209_150705.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 527
Looks like a 69 GTX grill to me, but maybe I'm missing something?
http://www.collectorcarads.com/Plymouth-GTX/57279

Didn't see any real point in checking the vin if it's not for sale anyway, and the front drums were kind of a "what the heck?" moment.
Old woman said she bought it new for her birthday in 1969, so either the car is lying or she is.
I have never seen or heard of a Mopar lying so... :D

Looks like a 69 GTX grill to me, but maybe I'm missing something?
http://www.collectorcarads.com/Plymouth-GTX/57279

Didn't see any real point in checking the vin if it's not for sale anyway, and the front drums were kind of a "what the heck?" moment.
Old woman said she bought it new for her birthday in 1969, so either the car is lying or she is.
I have never seen or heard of a Mopar lying so... :D

no way .....you post that on FBBO and you will see. That is a not a GTX grille I guarantee it. I cant believe anyone would do that. Not only does it look ridiculous that is not even close to being right.

from Hamtramck registry

Attachments

• 69_Belvedere0008.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 458
I agree that's not a 69' gtx grille but it's still possible it could be a GTX

maybe somebody stole the grill or it got busted and that's all they could find to replace it. a lot can happen 46 years. that is definitely not a GTX grill. the gtx could only be had with a 440 or a hemi. it got the best of everything, and was the highest trim level .

Rani was on that like a hawk. It would have slipped by me because I don't know much besides a bodies. Regardless of what it is, it's a shame that it will more then likely sit right there until it's scrapped.

8) Very nice find TB....Hope you left the lady your card!! :)

Rani was on that like a hawk. It would have slipped by me because I don't know much besides a bodies. Regardless of what it is, it's a shame that it will more then likely sit right there until it's scrapped.

well its only because I have what some would call remnants of a 69 GTX ....the one I have is really really rough. Spent years as an abused race car and then I saved it crush but the 1/4s are completely junk....its bad. And like any other car laying around here I am too much of a hoarder to get rid of it and plus it is a real RS23 car.

If the O.P. can get that one at a decent price then that would be awesome and a great start for a project ......if you think that car is rough then you need to look at mine and then you will say "oh my, that red GTX is a sweety of a car" :D

I believe I would get to know her real well! With drum brakes back in the day, light front end damage happened all the time. Back in the 70's and 80's she's lucky she got the GTX badge back when it came back from the body shop. Lol. I've seen a 68 doghouse on a 69 ! And vise versa! What ever the local junkyard had, you got!
Bring some flowers next time! Lol.

The guy I bought my Duster from last year had a beautiful '69 GTX convertible in the garage, red with black stripes. He told me he was in Kentucky and this old lady was selling her late husband's car. He picked it up, clean and perfectly drivable, for $14k! Definitely the best barn find I've heard of.

-
Back