What alternator should I buy?

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
My 1974 swinger has a 360 that is using a 1974 318 alternator, at idle the lights dim, and the alternator just never seems to keep up. I am looking for a direct replacement, what is available.

Dimming issue would go away if you did the relay conversion.

There is a member on here that sells kits or you can get them on ebay. Probably the single best modification you can do to improve your lighting. It will also improve the interior lighting and dash lights.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216514&highlight=headlight+relays&page=7

Try this thread first. There are other kits available on ebay as well. I have installed three sets and they work great.

I think you will find that this solves the problem rather than installing a new alternator. Unless you have added accessories that draw power the stock alt should be fine.

Good luck.

Somebody just posted the other day, a Bosch / NAPA (rebuilt??) that is a Mopar case 80 some amps. See if I can find it..........

Cant just put on an 80-amp alternator without doing the ammeter conversion or bypass or your gonna have issues. I believe the stock one is 60-amps? The wires are most likely to small to handle the current safely so you need to change the way the wires are routed and the size of the wire from the alt to the battery. I know more about the pre 70's electrical systems but I think they are similar. There are several threads on the alternator upgrade on this site and that would not be a bad upgrade.

However, the complaint is about dim lights and this issue is easily resolved by changing the way power gets to the lights via the conversion I mentioned above.

Good luck.

If your battery stays charged over the week, your alternator is fine and doing its job. The battery alone should light everything fine (idle or even engine off), if your connections and switches are good. That is where you need to look. Besides "low light", such bad connections can make your alternator put out too much at speed (>16 V), which can damage things. Get a cheap cigarette light voltmeter to monitor as you drive. I use one in all my modern cars.

-
Back