what am I doing wrong???????

-

MR4V

Reaction score
I picked up from a great member a 73 Duster with the following 360 stroker, STR 12, Alloy heads, Headman headers & a Milidon pan all that go's through a TCI 727 & B & M pan.
I decided too fix a few engineering problems like the engine mounts, steering column & change the box to a stronger 727 & 4000 stall.
I have never pulled a US LA out before so I checked with this tread if I could pull the engine & box together & got these results.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=189071&highlight=engine+removal
For the love of me I cannot get the pan past the K frame or the headers out, at the same time I think that this K frame might be a S6 one, can someone help me out?
KarlsEBay168.jpg

KarlsEBay167.jpg

KarlsEBay169.jpg

KarlsEBay092.jpg

KarlsEBay166.jpg

I would at the very least unbolt the headers. I know in my car I would never get the engine out with the headers bolted on.

Both headers are unbolted & loose. The drivers side seams to get jammed against the big factory starter motor & I cannot remove the starter until I get the motor up a bit.
There is nothing still connected & we can move the engine from side to side but can not get enough height.
Passages side has the same problem.

take the oil filter off, unbolt the passenger side header. remove it. it should come out from underneath fairly easily. unbolt the trans mount and crossmember and take it all off with a floor jack under it. lower the tailshaft a couple inches and push the motor over towards the passenger side until you have room to loosen the driver side header and starter and remove them at the same time. the engine should be free. if you jack up the engine too high and dont lower the tailshaft the bell housing will hit the trans tunnel and cause you grief. stick a spray paint can lid onto the tailshaft and tape it up, this will minimize spillage

I just did this, I have headers and the huge factory starter. I think we got it up enough and popped the pass side header out after removing the oil filter. The passenger side header might be easier to get out the bottom, but then you need to jack the front up to get enough clearance. Once you can get that header out of the way you can get the engine up enough to get the starter out. It's still a total ***** to get out. I used a 2-3 foot long extension to get to the bolts. Then I got the wires off. easier said than done. Then you have to get the engine up more or lower it back down to get the starter out of there. Once that thing is out of there it should come out. Don't forget to jack the back of the car as high up in the air as you can get it!

Also If you can afford to, go with a starter for a 91-94 small block van. way smaller, and the factory wires should work on it. I'm on a really tight budget so I found a used one on ebay for $25 shipped to my door. I figure even if it does fail quickly I will at least be able to get it out to change it, unlike the factory starter.

Good time to replace the starter with a mini-starter.They,re alot easier to remove and crank better.JMO

I picked up from a great member a 73 Duster with the following 360 stroker, STR 12, Alloy heads, Headman headers & a Milidon pan all that go's through a TCI 727 & B & M pan.
I decided too fix a few engineering problems like the engine mounts, steering column & change the box to a stronger 727 & 4000 stall.
I have never pulled a US LA out before so I checked with this tread if I could pull the engine & box together & got these results.
For the love of me I cannot get the pan past the K frame or the headers out, at the same time I think that this K frame might be a S6 one, can someone help me out?

next time try this........ way easier
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=88358

The oil filter has been removed & we have also removed the engine mounts that someone has cut up & welded, its ment to be a spool type K member but it has been cut & welded. What gives with this?
Jacked the car up as high as I could & still no luck with the headers.
KarlsEBay169.jpg

KarlsEBay163.jpg

KarlsEBay168.jpg

KarlsEBay148-1.jpg

-
Back