what are my options here

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to keep this Valiant as original looking as possible but I have to have my tunes. the radio in here is AM only. don't want to replace the radio because of the rolling knobs but not sure how to do this. need at least FM and would like to have CD option also. The next question is this radio only has speakers in the front. Pulled the package tray out to install headliner and found mounts for rear speakers back there. did the 69 Valiants have an option for rear speakers. If so what did they look like. can you get grill covers for that era. Does this radio in there have wires for rear speakers. Hell, I don't even know if this radio works. was not a concern when I got it to check it. now it is being as it is going back together. If I remember correctly, my 70 Super Bee and the 68 RR I had back in the day had rear speakers and I believe the radio looked the same. But no FM........... what do I do here guys. anybody cross this bridge before. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC08155.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 309
  • DSC08145.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 259
Gary tayman.com did my 70 duster radio like yours .Converted to fm mp3 player.Operates and looks like original radio.Speakers are retro sound brand.They make a dual cone to replace single speaker in front with 6x9 in rear.Works good

ok, I will check these out. Has anyone dealt with Wards Classic car radio before. little pricey also. $469.00.

does anyboby know what the rear speakers looked like from the factory back in 69 on these valiants. Did they come out with rear speakers. they have the holes I assume they did.

does anyboby know what the rear speakers looked like from the factory back in 69 on these valiants. Did they come out with rear speakers. they have the holes I assume they did.

I don't know if the factory did it, but I've seen many of them with 6x9" speakers back there.

Buy one of these. I have 2 of them and they work fine. You occasionally get poor reception. But they hook up to the original am radio through the antenna wire and can be hidden in the glove box.

I got a small box that mounted to the bottom of the dash that was very easily removed. It was cheap and didn't require any modifications.

Kuda it has the holes for the 6x9's back there but didn't want to stick some of the speakers of today in a 69 that didn't really look like from that era. I didn't know the holes were there till I pulled the package tray out. package tray didn't have the holes cut out.

Attachments

• DSC08058.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 203
I just spoke to the guy at Retrosound and I like that radio. he said it will be out by the end of May. I am leaning towards that. just need to figure out the speaker situation now.

Yearone has the DELUXE package trays with the speaker holes for that factory look. You would be able to add rear speakers and not have to use the grills that usually come with the speakers.

Yearone has the DELUXE package trays with the speaker holes for that factory look. You would be able to add rear speakers and not have to use the grills that usually come with the speakers.

X2 I actually have one of these installed in my Dart. Looks great, I will get a picture and post it later today.

On a speaker note.....

I use 6X9's under the package tray. There hard to see.
There's no way I'd stick with a factory era correct looking speaker.

I ordered a set of 6x9's from Retrosound along with the front 4x10 speaker from Summit yesterday. It just arrived today. I was going to cut the package tray that was in there and put the speakers in but now I am leaning towards going with the MA112501 package tray from Classic Industries and mounting the speakers under the tray like you said. I think they will mount better and that would eliminate the speaker grill altogether. Year one is very proud of their shipping rates on their package tray. Classic will ship tray and insulation for $16.95.

we have a speaker slotted package tray in our dart. speakers are mounted under it so you can't see them through the window.

put a radio under the front seat. have a aux cord running to it and we plug my phone into it for tunes.. works awesome.

thought about doing something like that in the future with a CD player but for a radio I am going to put one of those Rodondo's by Retrosound in it when they come out in a couple of months. I ran this slotted package tray by the boss and she is wanting that in there instead of the speaker grills on top. how is that slotted package tray secured. same 2 plugs as the factory one or a different way.

do you happen to know where you can pick up a couple of the plugs by any chance. I have not looked but sometimes people can tell you right off.

not sure.. when i put the tray in my dart i don't think i used the plugs. fit tight enough.. junk yard should be full of those things. just repaint them.

Classic said when I bought it that it just sits right in. probably be alright. thanks

In the mid 60s to maybe early 70s Chrysler used a fader control to balance the front and single rear speaker.

Attachments

• 2014-09-20 10.12.30.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 2014-09-20 10.12.43.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 139
Your original radio

attachment.php

Retrosound replacement Mopar radio

REDONDO-2T.jpg

yep Old man, that is what I plan on putting in it when it comes out in a month or so.

-
Back