What are the best Mopar heads?

-

jeryst

Reaction score
What would be the nastiest set of Mopar heads available for a 340? I'm talking about actual Mopar heads, not aftermarket. This will be for a street car.

the J or X head is pretty good if ya put some work into them the next step is the W 2 but ya need special rockers and you have yo have them set up because they are crap out of the box.

for a street car I would suggest the J head with some good port work .

Stock would be 5.9 Magnum heads, they will out flow any other stock heads. The new HD replacement heads do even better, you can get them from Hughes Engines for about $650 a pair bare. Aftermarket "mopar" heads would some of the "W" heads Mopar sells. In my opinion, I would go with the new Edelbrock victor heads.

By the time you get done rebuilding a set of core J or X heads and do some porting you may as well go with the Edlebrocks. Besides with the aluminum heads you can get some more compression in there since the aluminum heads cool more efficiently and resist detonation better.

$1,200 well spent.

flyboy01 said:
Stock would be 5.9 Magnum heads, they will out flow any other stock heads. The new HD replacement heads do even better, you can get them from Hughes Engines for about $650 a pair bare. Aftermarket "mopar" heads would some of the "W" heads Mopar sells. In my opinion, I would go with the new Edelbrock victor heads.

Edelbrock Victor heads for a small block? Didn't know they existed.

340 T/A heads were the heads with the most potential from the factory.

Oops, got mixed up, meant RPM heads.

edl-60779_w.jpg

Stock there are only marginal flow differences between all the common four barrel heads-unless you spend extra for a ta or x head and you could easily beat there flow numbers with a little work on any smog 360 or j head.A bowl hog and blend and a stock head will make great power on the cheap.

lead69 said:
Stock there are only marginal flow differences between all the common four barrel heads-unless you spend extra for a ta or x head and you could easily beat there flow numbers with a little work on any smog 360 or j head.A bowl hog and blend and a stock head will make great power on the cheap.

Aha! You have fallen in to the spiders web! You are correct that the flow differences are minimal taking into account valve sizes, but note that I said "with the most potential"! The T/A heads have offset rockers with relocated pushrods similiar to the W2's. Even though the pushrod pinch still exists, it can be completely ground out. I don't see how any other factory head that came bolted on a small block from the factory could be as extensively ported as the T/A's.

AAAAHHH but,I said extra cost/budget as I have little cash therefore I think cheap lol!.I would think with what you would pay for a set of ta heads in the first place you could have a set of mundane castings that outflow the ta heads stock.You could port the ta castings but I would guess with the initial cash outlay it would ruin the budget compared to a superior aftermarket piece-not to mention make a purist cry lol.

"Nastiest heads out there". And I thought he was talking about the worst, dirty, grimy old ragged out set you could pull up from the bottom of the lake heads?? I have seen some really bad ones out there...plenty to choose from...LOL,LOL. Terry.

jeryst said:
What would be the nastiest set of Mopar heads available for a 340? I'm talking about actual Mopar heads, not aftermarket. This will be for a street car.

What a wide open field. Options! Amount spent or able to spend.

OK, I quote the mans post. I'll assume again that this is to build a beastly car. Not just a simple "Best bang for the buck on my stock car" which could be argued here alot for any head based on performance or cost, moded or stock.

I'll vote on the quote, Nastiest heads (For power) on a 340 street bound.
(Ohh, where are the limits of what one considers street car? Ha ha ha)

Large Port Comandos

Let the debate continue!

I guess I opened up a can of worms here. I want to keep the engine all Mopar. I just wanted to find the highest horsepower heads without doing any work to them, other than a port and polish.

One other thing: Back in the late 70's, I knew a guy that had a really fast Swinger. It had a 340 with Hemi heads. I kid you not, I saw them myself, and he offered to sell them to me when he sold the car, because he kept the engine. Life a fool (with no money) I declined. He told me that they were real Chrysler heads. Did they ever make such a thing, or would they have been aftermarket?

See, the problem here is, that you're going to pour a ton of time, effort and money to achieve this. There's no way around it. Even if you do the port work yourself, which in itself iis long and tedious work, hoping that you don't find water, you still have to mill the decks, correct the chambers, new guides,new valves, hardened seats, and on and on. I've been there.......... many times. Buy some Eddy's, bolt them on and go fast. If you don't like the aluminum look,.......... paint them.

I will vote for the Al Magnum R/T heads. With the proper porting work they flow about the same as a set of ported Eddies. They also come with 2.02 valves. and should support 550 HP.

Jack

On the HEMI head for the small block.
Did they ever make such a thing, or would they have been aftermarket?
Just a few years back, a company made a custom set and then made them for the public.
So yes, there are HEMI heads for a small block but there cost, last time I looked, was over $7,000.
IMO, all things dependent, YOU may **** us not on what you seen and were told, but I have serious doubts on it. Not to call you or him lier, but whats the chances you have seen these heads.
I'm going to look for the link, BRB.

OK, I'm back, it took awhile and had to erase a parragraph.
Click this!

http://www.rodandcustommachines.com/smallblockhemiheads.html

Teh "nastiest" head is the one that has the best performance ad fits your budget. So how much can you spend, and what does it have to do for you?

rumblefish360 said:
On the HEMI head for the small block.

IMO, all things dependent, YOU may **** us not on what you seen and were told, but I have serious doubts on it. Not to call you or him lier, but whats the chances you have seen these heads.
]

I did see these heads, and it was in the late 70's/early 80's timeframe. He told me that they were some type of experimental heads. They were on his running 340, and the plugs were in the valve covers. I have no reason to make this up. I just wanted to know if anyone ever heard of this before because I could kick myself for not buying them.

But so far everyone has missed the point of the heads.
Here's a question that I get most all the time, how do you get a small port to flow so much.
Maybe everyone here should try one just to see, there's more work than it looks.
Also you don't have the bore to pull from.
I also remember set's of heads and actually many set's of heads that were for a 383 that had HEMI heads and were destroked to 346 and less for modified competition.

jeryst, I was speaking of the heads I got a link for. Other than that, I have never seen or heard of S/B HEMI heads and would like to state again, but bold this time, I'm not calling you a lier or him.

But anything is possible to build and exper. with. Is it possible? Sure.
Has anyone else ever said this? Sure, includeing the morons that tell me about there Dads quazi/motor/guzzi, semi full blown HEMI headed slant six in there Coutry Squire station wagon that ran 11's @ 140 and got 35 mpg's back in the day without N02 or such things.
(Come on, laugh with me on that one.)

Mornin Bobby, by the way, he just said nastiest heads for a 340. Nothing on what the goal is or intended purpose.

BJR Racing said:
Here's a question that I get most all the time, how do you get a small port to flow so much.

One flows it on a 5" bore, or one's bench has a leaky plate/tube? (sorry..I had to...LOL)

But the trick is to do it on a 4" bore and no leaks.
Here are some #'s on a AFR head 225 cc's 2.08/1.60 that I just finished, sorry it's a Ford.

.100 89/82
.200 170/137
.300 221/204
.400 263/232
.500 313/245
.600 326/251
.700 337/246
.800 339/248

Here are some #'s on a 302 (Mopar) head that I did a few weeks ago with a 1.78/1.50 valve's.

.100 87/77
.200 144/115
.300 212/141
.400 220/154
.500 218/155
.550 218/168
.600 218/185
.700 219/185
.800 219/188

Impressive low lift numbers BJR. It appears that those 302 heads should support 440-450hp+ with a relatively low lift cam. Seems that they would make a great heads for a truck build. What do you suppose limits the flow above .400 lift? Valve size or port size?

I have read that that the real key to porting is to get the most flow with the least amount port displacement (as measured in cc's) which increases port velocity, which it appears you have acheived. Do you believe that port velocity in and of itself creates hp, or does it just keep hp and torque levels up lower in the rpm range, increasing the area under the curve?

I don't think anyone "missed the point" as the question was "What would be the nastiest set of Mopar heads available for a 340? I'm talking about actual Mopar heads, not aftermarket.". Everyone gave thier opinion.

Moper, you're crackin my *** up! I almost spit my coffee all over my keyboard at work! Stop it or they're gonna take my web access away! :toothy7:

-
Back