What are these holes for above tail lights?

-

hunt2elk

Reaction score
Hey guys. Am just getting started on putting my 70 Duster back together after a rotisserie revamp. I don't remember what was in these four 1/4" holes, two on each side above the tail lights under the trunk weather seal. Could one of you help me out?

20170922_174053.jpg

20170923_064422.jpg

Wonder if it is for a tillight liner, I have one in a se and that would be about where it would mount.

Wonder if it is for a tillight liner, I have one in a se and that would be about where it would mount.
Hmmm. I bet you are right. The car had those tail light covers. I sold them last summer and forgot all about them. I will plug the holes up before gluing the weather strip down.

Being a metal worker by trade...I believe those holes are "die holes" used to align the sheet material (with pins, or dowels in the die) when the stamping occurs. The flat material is an exact shape prior to stamping (or pressing) allowing the manufacturer to use a minimum of material and not require trimming. The die holes insure that the flat pattern is located in the stamper properly. I could be wrong, as I'm not real familiar with the 70's Duster's body in a disassembled condition.

-
Back