what are these noises?

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
One is a steady whine that follows engine rpm, and the other sounds like crickets. I suspect the steady whine may be coming from the power steering pump, which leaks fluid.

View My Video

Whine sounds very much like a noisy power steering pump, yes.

Crickets: grab an ordinary bar of soap or paraffin wax, or a candle large enough to hold safely, and carefully(!) hold it against first the front edge and then the rear edge of the fan belt and power steering belt while the engine is idling. See if the "crickets" go away.

One is a steady whine that follows engine rpm, and the other sounds like crickets. I suspect the steady whine may be coming from the power steering pump, which leaks fluid.

View My Video
At work, We just have a spray bottle of water & stream shoot it at the drive sides of the belt, if it's the belt chirping the change is immediate. What You choose to do about it is
up to You, but whatever You do, don't use "belt dressing"!!! You have been warned.

I swapped in a "new" pump from a donor car and the whine is gone. Maybe the crickets will go away too if the new pump doesn't drip fluid onto the belt like the old one did (the noise comes and goes, so time will tell).

pull belt and see if it goes away...oh, you got it!

Belt dressing, about as useful as tire dressing.

WB_FamilyShotNosprizWeb.jpg

Years ago I had a ford pickup I bought new. At about 70000 miles the power steering pump started whining. I added about a teaspoon or two of STP. It quit whining. Tens of thousands of miles later it started again. Added the STP again and it quit. Retired the truck after three engine rebuilds, and about 250,000 miles and never replaced the power steering pump. Maybe I was just lucky but figured I didn't have much to lose by trying it.
Yote

-
Back