what are these wheels worth?

-
Could you guys explain to me which are the trim rings and retainers and the pre-71, but not 69 and e body usage? WHy is original worth so much but reproduction is worth-less?

This style rally wheel came out on the 1970 model year so these wheels are not original to the posters 69 Dart.

The originals are valuable to someone trying to restore a car with correct parts if the condition is good to great. I have only seen pictures and I'm assuming the wheels and tires are in good to great condition.

My opinion is if you bought new reproduction wheels and some tires you would spend.
$400 rims only
$140 center caps
$140 trim rings
$280 in tires
plus all the shipping, handling, tax, mounting and balancing. Probably set you back over a $1,000 and you just bought reproduction crap parts.

I didn't even see the reproduction wheels in the correct factory 5.5" width and the center caps looked like they were held on by the lug nuts and don't look like original in my opinion. The originals center caps bolted on from the back of the rim.

Could you guys explain to me which are the trim rings and retainers and the pre-71, but not 69 and e body usage? WHy is original worth so much but reproduction is worth-less?

Not sure what you're talking about retainers. The Magnum 500 wheel has a retainer that is used to keep the cap on the wheel. The rally wheel center caps used a screw through the wheel to secure the cap.

Trim rings cover the stepped ledge of the rim portion of the wheel.

The "Sombrero" style was only used in 70 and 71. According to the Mopar Performance catalog, the argent, light silver, color was used in 70, the darker color in 1971. Using car shows as a guide, the only color I've seen on an A-body was the argent. The "acorn" was used in the SBP only in 1972. There is no listing in the parts book for an "acorn" for a SBP A-body for 1973.

The SBP Rally wheel center caps were all 1 year only parts and only for the A-body. That and to survive 40 years make them valuable. The rest of the Dodge and Plymouth line used a BBP sombrero in 70 and 71. In 73 and beyond, disk brake A-bodies used a BBP. As a result, all Dodges and Plymouths could use the same acorn.

FWIW: At $80+ a pop for repro SBP sombreros, I'd hardly call them worthless. I haven't seen SBP acorns in repro for a while, so I don't know if they are still available.

I sold a good set of 4 with centers but no rings for $175. Asked $200 and settled. They weern't mint but were great drivers.

I didn't realize they even had a reproduction center. Not real impressed with them based on the picture. The mounting looks like it could be held on by the lug nuts and the texture looks smooth. The original had more of a rough sand paper like texture. Makes sense why the original in good shape seem to be in demand at least out this way.

Attachments

• 2027-a-chrysler-rallyecap-light.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 104
I picked up a real nice set of 72,s last summer , and two of them were NOS.I would not want to tell what i paid .They were in this guys garage he was cleaning out and he did not know where they came from or who owned them .

The ones i bought were EXACT matches to originals ... looks like i will keep them now ...

-
Back