What are these wires

-

Hankrebel

Reaction score
I was going over some of the vaccum lines for the AC and found two wires close by that are disconnected.
The first picture is of a blue wire with stock connector coming from the harness along the left side valve cover.
The second picture is of a grey wire with male connector coming from the harness along the firewall.
Car runs fine and I have no electrical issues so far.
d64b5127-bc52-451c-9826-e8d80dd4401e.jpg

98cab594-42e9-41ec-88e3-4731439a8f70.jpg

1st wire looks like it goes to the AC compressor...

2nd wire goes to oil pressure sending unit....I see you have an mechanical oil pressure gauge instead.

Could #2 be a temp sensor wire?

2nd is oil sending unit wire. You don't need it as you have a mechanical gauge that goes into the same hole.... But will if you ever want to put it back to "stock"...

Thanks guys. Yeah #2 wire is more than likely the remains of the electrical oil sending unit.
As I can tell, all the wires are hooked up on the AC Compressor. This wire has definitely been folded up and disconnected for a while. It is hardened to where it has been.

Pic #1 looks like a temp sender plug for a factory electric water temp gauge. My 74 dart was originally a slant six, and i swapped the threaded sender into my 408, plugged the little guy in, and my factory guage works. Here is the sender...

Replace that plastic oil pressure line with a copper one when you get a chance. They get hot and can melt, and easily pull out of the fitting. I had it happen, 70 psi on a cold start, lots of oil under the hood, pooling in the valley on the high rise intake.

Replace that plastic oil pressure line with a copper one when you get a chance. .

Hell no!

Copper work hardens with vibration and it will eventually fracture and leak.

Go with the nylon tubing and carry a spare kit in the glove box JIC....

The second one is a grey wire and definitely the oil sender to gauge. Here's the somewhat common scenario.. When someone is jacking around with the distributor/timing, they knock that terminal off the sender. They don't notice the oil gauge inop or pegged to max right away. When that bare terminal shorts to ground it kills oil gauge the instrument voltage regulator and maybe screw up the fuel gauge in the process too if the tank is nearly filled.
Insulate/isolate that terminal !

Hell no!

been running copper oil pressure lines for about 40 years, never had one break on it`s own. any trouble I`ve had has been leaving them in a bind, or worn out fittings, food for thot tho!:coffee2:

Would that be a 4bbl motor, as in Swinger 340. I seem to remember the 71 was a TQ and may have had an anti-diesel solenoid on M/T cars.I dont remember the wire color,or what the connector looked like though. On the passenger side was an electric choke.It had a blue wire.

Hell no!

not true, and most respectable tracks, if you take it to a track, do not allow plastic oil line

-
Back