What are you guys paying for NOS fill?

-

briankaplan

greenduster
Reaction score
OK guys. I'm thinking about putting the Duster on the bottle.
Just for when I go racing this year. Was wondering what it
cost to fill a bottle.
A local guy has a fill station for his own stuff. But he might
sell some to me.
No where else around here close. About an hour drive to get it.
Just wondering? Thanks.

You might consider adding forced induction as an alternative to NOS. Never has to be refilled....

Here are a couple of pictures of my home-brewed setup with a Vortech V-1, S-trim blower that I bought off ebay, still in the box, for $1,000.00 a couple of years ago. There are no kits for Vortechs on small block Mopars, so I had to fabricate my own mounting plate, but it wasn't hard. I even had two "spares" made that I could sell if anyone wants to try this. Photo attached.

Procharger actually has a kit with everything in it for the installation, which might be the better deal.

You can expect about a 1 second reduction in e.t., and about 10 mph in speed for a 10-pound boost, I think.

I'll know more after this weekend. I'll be taking mine to the strip for the first time with a blower, Saturday, if it doesn't rain (50/50 chances...)

Just something to think about. Buying go-juice might get old after awhile, especially, if it's not readily available, locally.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!!!! :)

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

100_3266.jpg

100_3269.jpg

100_3271.jpg

100_1929.jpg

nos is for guys who engines don't make any real power,anyone can spray its much more satisfying getting it done naturally aspirated...

nos is for guys who engines don't make any real power,anyone can spray its much more satisfying getting it done naturally aspirated...

I like this argument and in many ways I agree with it..... But.... If you get beat by a car with NOS you have still been beaten.

Ya but by a car on nos !! NOT impressive !!!!

But you still lost.... This is how the argument will go on and on..

It's like my friend and his 600hp (engine alone), 502ci, Chevelle. It has a 250hp NOS plate system for extra go when he wants it.

Let me quote him... "I beat you with 750hp, want me to do it with 600hp this time?"

Like I said.... I agree.

But at the end of the day (This coming from my young and foolish street racing days) when you lose you lose on the street.

or...

Find a real engine builder and spray.. This is an age old argument that goes in circles.....

Damn. Quite a lot of negativity on the whole nitrous thing here!! I would say that if I had my car built and done the way I liked it and was thinking about just adding a little extra ooomph while at the track without tearing into the engine, I would think about the bottle too. Seems to be a pretty good bang for the buck. I say do whatever the hell you want to do Brian, after all, it is YOUR car!

Here's what I like about nitrous.

You can run it or not (assuming you don't have some crazy nitrous converter). Meaning, you can have a more docile street-friendly setup and still run some decent ETs at the track. Or, you can build a more stout combination and maybe run a little faster than your safety equipment allows when you get the itch, but can still enjoy your car without all the added BS the rest of the time.

It isn't affected by heat and humidity the way blowers (and NA to a lesser extent) are. If you bracket or index race, a blower is not the way to go.

It doesn't add a great deal of complication to working on the engine (like a blower).

Nitrous launches are more fun (but harder on parts) than blower launches.

Its true that the blower is there whenever you want it, and the nitrous only runs when the bottle is warm and full, but there's an advantage there too. My blower cars have been fast enough that you never actually get to drive the damn thing unless its at the track. You have to tiptoe on the gas pedal around town, and if you ever try to really use that power you just blow the tires off. From my experience a slower over-all car at 80% throttle is way more fun than a really fast car at 20% throttle.

Steve

Here's what I like about nitrous.

You can run it or not (assuming you don't have some crazy nitrous converter). Meaning, you can have a more docile street-friendly setup and still run some decent ETs at the track. Or, you can build a more stout combination and maybe run a little faster than your safety equipment allows when you get the itch, but can still enjoy your car without all the added BS the rest of the time.

It isn't affected by heat and humidity the way blowers (and NA to a lesser extent) are. If you bracket or index race, a blower is not the way to go.

It doesn't add a great deal of complication to working on the engine (like a blower).

Nitrous launches are more fun (but harder on parts) than blower launches.

Its true that the blower is there whenever you want it, and the nitrous only runs when the bottle is warm and full, but there's an advantage there too. My blower cars have been fast enough that you never actually get to drive the damn thing unless its at the track. You have to tiptoe on the gas pedal around town, and if you ever try to really use that power you just blow the tires off. From my experience a slower over-all car at 80% throttle is way more fun than a really fast car at 20% throttle.

Steve

You forgot one thing..nitrous explosions can be VERY expensive,i've seen enough of them at the track to ever use the stuff....

That is good and you may like this one as well.

I heard a guy ask his person at a car meet if his was using NOS. The persons reply was "Bottles Are For Babies"

And I still got your money in the end, so who's the fool.

Never had a nitrous explosion either and this was in the 80's. Bad stuff happens to race cars, like connecting rod issues.... right?

I took thousands, yes, THOUSANDS of dollars from people over the years in the mid 80's from guys that thought spraying was cheating or for idiots. I was happy to be an idiot or sub-par engine guy. LMAO Never lost a single engine either.... Hmmmmmm.

Only problem, my stuff outran theirs on motor, they thought it was juicing the first run or runs, then they got a second or third bite of the apple on juice and got embarrassed.

Most of the guys that complained and said anything, turtled when the gauntlet was thrown for a $1000-5000 race cause spraying was cheating... Don't bring a knife to a gunfight! No, I wanna run for pride... WTF, yeah right... chickenshits is what they were and most wouldn't even run on motor!

Just my experience over the years with this stuff.

If you don't like juice fine. Are blowers/turbos for wimps too? Nothing but a different style power adder.

this is a very cool arguement ,I have often thought about throwing a 150 kit on my 318 just for those occasions when it's needed I drive the car on the street to often to turn it into a drag car but the cam makes it sound a little badder than it is , just this morning some geezer in a faguar smoked me at a light downtown -caught me dreaming while I was checking out a girl who just walked across in front of me { sweet bum on her } -with the 323 rear end I'm not catching him before the next light with a half an intersection headstart on me but an extra 150 might turn the tables and let me make it up , I'm going to definately stroke this motor but still an extra 150 at the push of a button for a couple of hundred bucks instead of thousands is pretty tempting maybe i"ll do both . If your in Victoria watch out for an 80 maliboat it's got 450 on motor and almost as much nos bone stock looking right down to the hubcaps and he'll tell you call me a baby all day just pay me my money loser and we'll go again if your not broke yet

And I still got your money in the end, so who's the fool.

Never had a nitrous explosion either and this was in the 80's. Bad stuff happens to race cars, like connecting rod issues.... right?

I took thousands, yes, THOUSANDS of dollars from people over the years in the mid 80's from guys that thought spraying was cheating or for idiots. I was happy to be an idiot or sub-par engine guy. LMAO Never lost a single engine either.... Hmmmmmm.

Only problem, my stuff outran theirs on motor, they thought it was juicing the first run or runs, then they got a second or third bite of the apple on juice and got embarrassed.

Most of the guys that complained and said anything, turtled when the gauntlet was thrown for a $1000-5000 race cause spraying was cheating... Don't bring a knife to a gunfight! No, I wanna run for pride... WTF, yeah right... chickenshits is what they were and most wouldn't even run on motor!

Just my experience over the years with this stuff.

If you don't like juice fine. Are blowers/turbos for wimps too? Nothing but a different style power adder.

I raced for way more then 1-5 g races on the street late 80's early 90's (Rumblefish"mod" will tell you I'm not lying)
so cheating was only cheating if caught! I would run any nos car out there on my motor but got lengths because of it ... would be stupid to run motor to spray heads up for money !
Bracket racing doesn't matter who has what........

And i'll try you spray to motor ,give me 3 and the leave8)
Tim

If you are spending all this money on building a car and motor why not build the motor RIGHT and not have to think about adding that crap on it...
my 2 cents !

Hell, I would be an 8 second everyday street car if I hit it with a 300 shot, and yes My motor was built to handle it.........But I dont need it:thebirdm:

Everyone has an opinion on the stuff and if you choose to use it or not, it's a personal deal.

People can build anything the best they can, I can slap a unit on it, and it will go faster. :toothy10:

The guys that yapped about how I couldn't build an engine or whatever got nothing in the way of cars or move from me anyways cause my stuff was junk! I turned it around on them all the time.

Throwing out the 1-5K made them crap or get off the pot. Yes, I've raced for more than 5K which was a lot of money back then. I made more money racing than I did working for about 3 years, and I was making in the high 20's/low 30's back then.

It all changed when the racers honor disappeared and a-holes with guns showed up.

Nice to see this thread get hijacked... It was about $42 the last time a friend of mine got a 10# bottle filled.

Nothing but a personal opinion and approach to running a car.

I won't mention my normal response back then to the "Bottle are for babies" comment. It's not really nice. :-D

So running spray is for guys who cant build motors but asking for 3 and the move is ok?

-
Back