What bell housing with your 5.7 hemi?

-

Jasonmiester

Reaction score
What are you using with your 5.7 hemi 4 speed set up?
The scatter shield looks too big, clearance is already an issue, as far as steering and header clearance.
Any one running hydraulic set up? Using stock pedals? Thanks!
Jason

I'm just running a stock overdrive bellhousing (came with the car behind the 318) with a mechanical linkage at the moment. Header clearance is pretty tight, but they aren't really going to move around when tightened up. I think TTI at least said that you can clear a Lakewood housing with a little trimming or something with their headers, pretty sure a few people were running one. The main issue with my setup is that I had to track down the really odd large input bearing retainer with the smaller bolt pattern. Any standard smallblock housing should fit, unless you need the scattershield for racing.

Thanks for your input. I haven't read about the scatter shield clearing the lakewood. I'm not setting it up for racing, I saw a decent price for one on eBay, and some people are getting outrageous with their prices on there small block housing. You had to trim you input shaft right? I heard with the Lakewood scatter shield that's made for the swap, you did not have to. Not sure if it's true. Where did you find your input retainer? Thx

Yeah, I ended up trimming around 5/8-3/4 off of the tip of my input shaft. Wasn't too hard, just a cutoff wheel to slice it and a grinder to put some of the bevel back on. You can still run it on a stock small block to if you use a register mounted pilot bearing/bushing as well, so it's not like it becomes Hemi only. I got my retainer from Wildcat Auto Wrecking or something like that. Called Brewers and they were out of stock, looked it up on the net and heard about Wildcat. I think they're a Mopar only salvage yard. Gave them a call and they actually had one, for a reasonable price too. If you use an older iron bellhousing you won't need the real oddball one I have. If you look at Brewer's Performance you can see most of the different retainer sizes. I think they have most of them in stock as well, aside from the real rare ones.

Some use the quicktime bell housing, check it out.

-
Back