What brand of spark plugs have you had luck with

-
I think I heard uncle Tony recommend NGK. I can't find it where he was taking about it

Well, it is cold outside.

I didn't ask to argue but just to see what everyone else is using.

I am going to try some NGKs next.

1972 slant six with a million miles, original engine to my 72 demon.

For some odd reason the engine doesn't like champion anymore.

I tried the Auto LITES and the spark actually seems stronger and runs better.

One size does not fit all but its interesting to pick up bits and pieces from others. imo

Probably like Tony I have had a lot of years with NGK and won't use anything else.
Those plugs Del uses are marine engine plugs. (figures):poke::D
They run a lot colder than normal design plugs.

Sounds like you're saying to get an msd ignition...I have to agree with that. lol
Well, just like anything else, you will have guys claiming the MSD left them stranded in the desert for 5 days and as a result, their family was eaten by wolves. Stock ignition now keeps them alive!

Been running MSD systems on 2 different duster..NEVER had an issue..NEVER!!!

I have never had an issue with any plug. I have seen cases where driveability problems occurred from too cold of a plug. U have to remember a cross reference is just a guide. It’s not spot on for many heat ranges. That’s when ppl get into trouble. When the right plug is used in its intended application u won’t have a problem. Kim

Last edited:
Champion RC12YC
Wide Band AFR Gauge helps.
upload_2019-12-29_13-9-19.png

Last edited:
liquid cool 4 stroke Autolite. Air cooled 4 stroke or any 2 stroke NGK. Methanol NGK or autolite race plugs. Champions suck. never had all 8 straps burn equal. And never follows the same cyl.

NEVER BURN EQUAL: DID U EVER COMPARE THEM TO THE INTAKE RUNNER FLOWS FOR SAME CYL. ?

Well, it is cold outside.

I didn't ask to argue but just to see what everyone else is using.

I am going to try some NGKs next.

1972 slant six with a million miles, original engine to my 72 demon.

For some odd reason the engine doesn't like champion anymore.

I tried the Auto LITES and the spark actually seems stronger and runs better.

One size does not fit all but its interesting to pick up bits and pieces from others. imo

We used to run n64 champions in the s/s hemi many yrs ago, had one of my sponsors "small time'', that gave us a set of plugs every race . When we went to an MSD ign. it quit running bad (after raising the c. ratio) was blowing the fire out of the plugs we suspected?? . MSD fixed it. Those were some ice old plugs too. Didn't have to change plugs every race after the msd , could run them all summer .

I now have got hung up on NGK, -------------

In my slant I used NGK and was very happy with them. In my 360, I'll probably use NGK again.

Now in my 5.7 hemi daily, Champion coppers. I've heard that they can be picky with spark plugs and I have yet to have an issue in over 70,000 miles. Speaking of which, I need to change them tomorrow!

The timing mark on the ground strap is too close to the threads. It should be in the middle of the curve of the ground strap.
. Are you talking about that dark band around the ground strap?
I had never heard of reading ignition timing from a spark plug,
Good to learn something new.

I can’t say I’ve had more issues with one brand vs another but I find more availability in the NGK line and I find them much easier to read than other brands.

Just curious what specific # Autolite plug are you running in your 340?
Currently Autolite 64
Still checking heat range, these appear to be OK, but I may change to a different range in the future

73 340 Elct. Ign. - Champion - never a problem.
71 340 Dual Point -Champion plugs would lead foul, glazed the porcelain until it would miss in a few hundred miles. Switched to Autolite and they worked fine.
I did experiment up and down in the heat ranges with both the high and low comp. motors with the Champion plugs, not with Autolite

Last edited:
As sacreligous as it sounds. I'm pretty much fed up with champion.

I am really starting to think Auto lites are the cheap and reliable way to go for a street driven daily commuter.

What is your brand and type?

So what is the issue with the plugs? If you have a bit of knowledge about the materials used in the plugs it makes the decision on what plugs to use easier.

FWIW, I have been using Champion plugs in everything since 1972, starting with my first dirt bike. Still use them today.

Most of the time, the plug isn't the issue.

-
Back