what brnd oem type rad. to buy?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
the 71 slant duster has sat for ?? many yrs before picked it up. got it running yesterday. orig, rad. has nice sized leak, it has been braized before, looking at the tubes f rom top, they look plenty clogged. I have had very little luck with cleaning and using these old rad., usually rotted. it had only a cup of antifreee in it due to leak at lower part of it. $ spent at rad. shop to have it boild ot and chcked general is waste of gas and $.
I can get oem style from o reilly which is Murray for $210, order from Rock auto spectra for 196 or a APDI/PRO for 219 shipped.
any experience with these brands anyone?????
NO I do not want an aluminum ra. on this slant. and NO pusher fans! thanks

the 71 slant duster has sat for ?? many yrs before picked it up. got it running yesterday. orig, rad. has nice sized leak, it has been braized before, looking at the tubes f rom top, they look plenty clogged. I have had very little luck with cleaning and using these old rad., usually rotted. it had only a cup of antifreee in it due to leak at lower part of it. $ spent at rad. shop to have it boild ot and chcked general is waste of gas and $.
I can get oem style from o reilly which is Murray for $210, order from Rock auto spectra for 196 or a APDI/PRO for 219 shipped.

I have a 26" Murray from OReilly and it's fine, and has been for almost 5 years.
Jees, you sure do use the space key a lot. :D

I have a 26" Murray from OReilly and it's fine, and has been for almost 5 years.
Jees, you sure do use the space key a lot. :D
ha!! back in my younger days 50 years ago I typed darn fast with 10 fingers. now I can only use 2, fingers don't bend good but my friggin thuumbs work like crazy. HA guess it is just a habit. bad part is I hit keys with my fingers but they don't make letters. must have something to do with Arthur?? and then invert everything!! ha

I feel your pain. My old Jeep Cherokee radiator tank cracked. I bought a replacement rad from o'reilly. What a piece of crap! It was about 1/4 the weight of oem, because it was all aluminum and plastic, whereas oem was mostly brass and copper. The aftermarket rad would barely cool it on a warm day, forget about running A/C. It had a guarantee for 1 yr. It started leaking 1 month after warranty expired. Yeah, I would recommend against buying a rad from O'Reilly.

barbee6043,
Glen-Ray Radiators does high quality work on anything that comes their way and I believe has OEM radiators serviced by them (maybe new ones too) for sale if yours is too far gone. Brass and copper OEM rads have been around for a long time and there's a good reason for that.... solid construction and quality materials! That's the route I would go if I needed a OEM one redone or new. Hope this helps you in your decision...
318MG

i looked up price of Glen-Ray Rad once before. looked like they do the repops with mopars #'s and pentastar on them, show car suff.. seems like I remember $1000 for a rad!! wow. this is a slant duster I have!! ha
if tanks are good I could get it recored but then the tanks would just a month later, pop a leak at a tank seam!!!!

if it was easy Chevy guys would drive mopars!!???!!!!! huh??

I feel your pain. My old Jeep Cherokee radiator tank cracked. I bought a replacement rad from o'reilly. What a piece of crap! It was about 1/4 the weight of oem, because it was all aluminum and plastic, whereas oem was mostly brass and copper. The aftermarket rad would barely cool it on a warm day, forget about running A/C. It had a guarantee for 1 yr. It started leaking 1 month after warranty expired. Yeah, I would recommend against buying a rad from O'Reilly.

Mine is all metal, so I tend to think it was a "per application" thing on your Jeep.

-
Back