what cam for this engine?

-

moturbopar

Reaction score
Hey all, we are putting together a 360. its a fairly low budget build. anyways its a .030 over 360
h405cp pistons, figure 8.5 to 1 compression
915 j heads 1.88 1.60 valve with some pocket porting and good valve job.
performer rpm intake, holley 600
1 5/8 headers 2.5 dual exhaust
the car (early a body) has 3.91 gears and a 2500 stall converter.
He is trying to figure out a good cam for this engine
I was thinking a voodoo 268 might be good or the comp xe268.
he would like it to be lopey but nothing crazy.

He also wanted to know what difference in power he would might see by going to a h116cp piston? It looks to bump the compression up almost another point.

If you haven't got the pistons yet, get some that will bump up the compression to around 10:1.
But what are your goals for the motor/car?

If you haven't got the pistons yet, get some that will bump up the compression to around 10:1.
But what are your goals for the motor/car?

Why? So he'll have to spike it with race gas? Anything over about 9.3 to 1 is gonna have trouble on pump gas unless he sets it up as an expensive quench engine. Did you see the word BUDGET? Apparently not. I like the Voodoo 268 grind. It's a good one.

you're combo with this cam works awesome

SCAN0001-6.jpg

dyno360.jpg

Thanks guys. well he wants to stay hydraulic. I know he wants to be able to run pump gas and not worry about additives or race fuel. I just wants a nice strong street motor, he might take it to the track every so often.

I think that 268 Voodoo will be the sheeot. Yall will like it.

Either one will be fine. The voodoo will be more rough at idle.

Hey all, we are putting together a 360. its a fairly low budget build. anyways its a .030 over 360
h405cp pistons, figure 8.5 to 1 compression

He also wanted to know what difference in power he would might see by going to a h116cp piston? It looks to bump the compression up almost another point.

He'll see about, at best, a 5% power increase with the higher compression pistons. I'd shoot for 9.5-1 for a ratio and any mild performance cam.

Thanks guys. Do you think the stock rocker arms will work with either of these cams? They are new replacement rockers.
Also at what lift do you usually need to machine the guide for retainer to guide clearence?
thanks

Comp XE268 gets my vote.
Run one in my 360,very similar build....Runs well.

Hey all, hes been looking at another cam specs are
220 @ .050 int
220 @ .050 ext
108 lobe seperation
.506 lift intake and exhaust
hydraulic flat tappet
Do you guys think this cam would work ok or should he go ahead and order the voodoo 268?
thanks

You can run a lot more than 9.5-1 on pump gas with the right cam should be no problem, Lunati cams work, do not like Comp had to many problems with their stuff

Reading a lot of untrue comments in this thread, kinda depresses me..
Yes...more compression would be way better, but thats what he has.
He could run a 280* comp .480 lift hyd 4* adv and be just fine, lopey and rev 6000 rpm.

u'd have about 135'ish psi or 'cranking/dynamic' compression

i look at 228-230* @.050 cams....

You can run a lot more than 9.5-1 on pump gas with the right cam should be no problem, Lunati cams work, do not like Comp had to many problems with their stuff

Really? I would like to know your recipe. Without quench, 9.3 is as far as anyone oughtta go on pump gas and iron heads. I wouldn't recommend it on my dime.

My x headed 340 has 9.5 comp , 155 psi cranking and dont detonate with 91 octane.

if i run less octane, i get specs on the plugs.
and thats with a 'to the lean side tune' 26* initial 34* total, no vac advance 750 holley and dual plane intake 3.73 gear and 4spd tran in a 3300lb car
but theres ur proof

Everyone has their own way to skin the same cat.That stick helps a ton.Both would work,to nail it.Intake and exhaust flow would save a ton of guessing.(and money and headache)....

I'm the king of low budget (4 kids), just found this cam at summit. I'm ordering it for my wifes 318 dart. You have the gears, so why go with a stock 340 type cam. You can also go to the comp cams website and input all your engine specs and look at the output of various cam profiles. A similar comp cam gave me great #'s.

Summit Racing SUM-K50062 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® Cam Kits

Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 284/284, Lift .480/.480, Mopar, Small Block, Kit
Part Number: SUM-K50062 More Detail …

• $145.95

A crane grind,too much without compression,converter,gears. Otherwise not too bad.

I have the comp purple 508 (292H) in my 340 and the 416. Works well on 93 pump gas at 10-1 with alum eddy heads. Good lumpy idle

Really? I would like to know your recipe. Without quench, 9.3 is as far as anyone oughtta go on pump gas and iron heads. I wouldn't recommend it on my dime.

I run a all iron 360 at 11.5-1 on pump gas 91 octane with no ping, and i race it wilth 50/50 mix and it depends on maybe where the quench is, and a good cam makes a differance.

-
Back