What cam would you buy?

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
I know there was a thread on this before but I just want to see a polling, BUT seeing as I cant figure out how to make a poll thread I will place this here, 1974 swinger, car is just a cruiser with a 360 punched 30 over port polishing 3 angle valve job work done to stock 360 heads 10:1 keith black racing pistons, victor 340 intake, Holley street avenger 670. Still running stock 74 904 and stock 8.25 2.45 rear end, what cam would you buy?

Mopar purple cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4452757/overview/

Voodoo cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10200703

I agree.

Additionally, I'd run something other than a victor 340. A RPM, LD340, or Air gap intake will be much stronger pulling the current gear and much happier with more gear as well.

I agree.

Additionally, I'd run something other than a victor 340. A RPM, LD340, or Air gap intake will be much stronger pulling the current gear and much happier with more gear as well.

Really? I didn't want to hear that lol haha I got a great deal on the victor 5 years ago lol hahah

2nd the Lunati Voodoo.

The purple cam grinds were good for their time, but there's much better performing cams out there now (like Lunati's VooDoo series).

Question though, there's a big performance jump between the purple cam you listed and the 10200703, that lunati cam is quite a bit hotter. The 10200702 is much closer in performance to the purple cam you picked out, and still a better choice than the purple cam.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10200702lk/overview/make/dodge

That said, the 10200703 is still a very streetable cam. I have that very cam in the 318 I'm building for my EL5 Dart, with a set of RHS heads.

I disagree. I think the purple shaft in this case is a much better choice for a stock trans, converter and 2.45 gear. But that's just me.

Hughes engines has camshafts designed just for Mopars that take into consideration the large .904 lifter. They claim that because of the large size of the lifter they can get aggressive with the ramp and create "roller" power with a flat tappet cam. Check them out and see what you think. I have spoke with several people who swear by them. I personally have not used them though. They are a bit on the pricey side and you MUST use their springs or they won't warranty the cam. www.hughesengines.com

Tim

Really? I didn't want to hear that lol haha I got a great deal on the victor 5 years ago lol hahah

If you want to run a purple cam, run the 268/450 which would be at least closer to the Lunati you posted. I'd run the voodoo over any similar MP grind.

JMO, you have a mismatch of components. Intake is a high winder, liking ~6000+rpm in most cases, camshafts that will stop pulling at ~5500 for the lunati maybe 5k for the mopar, gears... well you know this one, not favorable for a high rpm engine, tight converter. Gonna be interesting to get it right.

I'd sell the Victor and find one of the ones I mentioned.

Thanks for all the help guys this is the cam I have right now, the big mutha thumpr and its just not right at all, so anything smaller will work right?

Attachments

• vacation 048.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 370
Some might say this is "wimpin' out" but I think either of these two cams are good cams for the street. Ya'll might not like Comp Cams either, but I'm basically throwing the numbers out. Yeah, that Victor intake and Bonneville salt flat gears don't make it easy......are a gear change in the works anytime soon?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-223-3/overview/make/dodge

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-232-4/overview/make/dodge

Yes as of now I am going with a cam change and a gear change im thinking 3.55 or 3.90?

Better plan on gears and a converter, or a small cam and dual plane as suggested above. Large cam, improper stall and high gears would be a dog on the street. Carb would be getting on the smallish side but doable if you go small cam, dual plane, and at least 3:2ish gears....

When the money is there one day I will get the bigger TQ but as of right now its not in the cards, I don't want to change the stuff I want and then have money for a TQ down the road and need a new cam again, Im not racing this car just cruising, anything I do to this car can not be worse then it is now..

What cam do you have in it now? Why not just save your money until you have enough to put a cam in it that matches the intake and converter and gears that match the combo? Probably will be a 3.91.

Hughes engines has camshafts designed just for Mopars that take into consideration the large .904 lifter. They claim that because of the large size of the lifter they can get aggressive with the ramp and create "roller" power with a flat tappet cam. Check them out and see what you think. I have spoke with several people who swear by them. I personally have not used them though. They are a bit on the pricey side and you MUST use their springs or they won't warranty the cam. www.hughesengines.com

Tim

All of the Lunati cams are made for the .904 lifter, and have faster ramps to take advantage of it.

Your engine is a great combination, IMO. I'll be damned if I would change that. Any of it. I think as said, gears and converter will be the smartest things. Get the gear first. That will make it MUCH better and you can live with it until the converter. I would go 4.10 though.

Your engine is a great combination, IMO. I'll be damned if I would change that. Any of it. I think as said, gears and converter will be the smartest things. Get the gear first. That will make it MUCH better and you can live with it until the converter. I would go 4.10 though.

X2...convertor and gears are what you really need.

Paul

Just run the Big Muthaaa fckaaaaa then and keep your $$ in your pocket if you don't want to listen to the advise that has been there and done that over and over and over again. If you are asking a question you need to listen up. :sign3:

Just run the Big Muthaaa fckaaaaa then and keep your $$ in your pocket if you don't want to listen to the advise that has been there and done that over and over and over again. If you are asking a question you need to listen up. :sign3:

Ok so anyways I am trying to figure out what is the best route there is multiple diff recommendations and I don't know what to do

IMO keep the cam, swap to a good duel plane intake, swap in some 3.55-3.91 gears, don't worry about the carb the 670 would be one of my top choices. I think your combo would come around to your liking if these two things were done. If not, then swap the cam. Nothing worse than a low vacuum having torque killing big single plane coupled to ridiculously high rear end gears.

I think if you want a cruiser, no racing just a solid driver, cruiser, whatever, get the largest cam that will work with your factory stall, up the gears to 32is to 3:5is gears and use a dual plane matched to the RPM of the cam and use your 670cfm carb. Is 10:1 your actual static ration as measured? This is the one thing that could cause issues with a smaller cam. That one you have will just suck to drive with high gears and factory stall. Comp recommends at least a 2800 stall. Rough idle and cruiser also are not a good mix. Do you have springs in your heads yet? If so what are they? In the end, I suggest a custom cam. Call a knowledgeable grinder.

I can't figure out how so many people can run 3.91 or 4.10 or higher gears without an overdrive. To me, it makes ever taking my car onto a freeway just ridiculous and annoying. Everyone drives 80+ MPH on the freeway where I live, so I'm usually stuck in the slow lane tach-ing 4000 RPM. Can't hang with that.....maayyybe 3.55's.

-
Back