What Cam?

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
1972 Dart Swinger ,318, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock 650 Carb, 340 Stock Exhaust Manifold, Stock Heads, What Cam should I get? Thanks,:cheers:

Need more info about the 318. Bore/stroke, compression ratio, what intake, what heads (valves size, ported, etc), intended use for the motor.

I would look into the 340 replacement cam, or one of the smaller lunati voodoo grinds.

If I go with the summit I can then afford the springs and a degree kit. Is the Lun worth tha added expense?

Meh......yeah it'll make more power. Will it really matter? Probably not. If that makes the difference between you doing it right and wrong, get the Summit cam and do it right.

All the above cams are good recomendations. I like the voodoo cam also.

A spark plug hole fitting,hooked to compressed air(air comprrssor) Install fittilg,hook air hose to fitting.Rent/borroe/buy a portable valve spring compressor.Do one at a time.

Yes. Also of important note: Make SURE before you replace a cylinder's pair of springs, that you bring that piston up to TDC before removing the springs. Even with air in the cylinder, it's possible you could bump a valve and soon as it opens it's fallin in the cylinder. If that piston was low in the bore, that would SUCK, because then you'd have to remove the head to get it out. By bringing each piston up to TDC as you replace springs, they will only fall against the piston if you bump them. You can use a compressor like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KD-Tools-Un...H_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337930e45b&vxp=mtr

Thanks, now what about a cam shaft degreeing kit, or will just the degree wheel work. Comp Cams sells one with a dvd or summit sells the lit. I'm new at this and want to get it right.

You can get the comp kit for right around 100 on a good deal. But if you think you'll not use it much, maybe you can borrow one from a friend? Or even post up in the general forum and ask if there's a member in your area withthe stuff you might could buy supper for to come help. I'd come give you a hand in a minute....but I'm in Georgia. I WOULD degree it though. I think it's an important step.

-
Back