What car insurance company do you use?

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Im wondering what car insurance you guys use for your classic cars?My Duster im sure once I get it into prime shape I will not drive it much.So how do you guys with the fully restored cars that never see the winters snow and only see the streets on summer weekends insure your cars?

I use Grundy, there is no limit on mileage , and you agree on a value. Also I can drive it anytime I want to, not just to a show or something like that. Their price is cheaper than the rest.

Nice,thanks.The reason I ask is because our cars are not like the new cars on the road where collision parts are plentiful.And just the thought of having a rare 340 car or other rare Mopar getting totaled scares me.Even used body parts for our cars are hard to get and costly.Right now I have the limited liability since my Duster isnt restored yet and I dont drive it much,but that will change once I get it in really nice shape.

I use Grundy, there is no limit on mileage , and you agree on a value. Also I can drive it anytime I want to, not just to a show or something like that. Their price is cheaper than the rest.
I was going to look into Grundy.I got a quote from Hagerty for $105 a year I think it is.Much less than what im paying State Farm.

Before you go with Grundy, I'd give them a call and then give them some time to call you back.
I have a Hagerty policy. They jacked my rate $10 a year. Went from $108 to $118. Not that big a deal really but it caused me to look into Grundy. Got an online quote of $98. Cool, I call them get the ball rolling, they concur with the online quote say they'll send me a packet in the mail. Look it over and if I'm ok with everything send a check.
Next day, I get a call from Grundy. They tell me that I was mis-quoted and rate will be $178 a year. The reason for the difference is the value of the car is not enough. I'm realistic, my car is a $10K car, I told them so. So it cost's more to insure a lessor amount.
I'm just going to pay Hagerty's the extra $10.

thanks gunbunny.Well,$118 doesnt sound too bad.So do you pay monthly?Bi-Monthly?How exactly do they work?The reason Im asking is because heres what happened.Where I live on the Front Range here in Colorado,Emissions testing stopped in 2007.The only areas that kept a clean air program is the Denver area.Now,starting in November,emissions for my area is coming back and even though the Duster isnt a daily driver,I wanted to register it and get the Vintage Collectors plates(which are for cars 1975 and under),which when I do,the car will never need emissions ever again.But in order to register it,I needed insurance before they can even issue a temporary license tag for the car.I put the Duster along with my GLH on my insurance but man,its costly(an extra $25 ) and got a temp tag for it that lasts until July.The front ranges air quality has been pretty good ,below EPA standards for years,im not sure WHY they are bringing it back since most of the cars on the streets here are pretty clean and not many air polluting older cars are on the streets anymore.Not only are we going to have to pay for the tags,but also for the emissions tests.Which im sure will be about $25.I want to avoid having to go through this crap with my Duster.And get this,for each year you dont register a vehicle,there is a penalty which I found out the hard way.I bought the Duster in 2008 and I had to pay a penalty for those 2 years it wasnt registered!I was like wtf them crooks !All about money for these people

I use American National, and we have a specialty product called Chrome (Classic/Hot Rod/Replica/Original/Modified/Exotic). I am not only a client of theirs for my 64 Barracuda but I am also an Agent. I have found that in almost every instance American National is cheaper than anyone in this market.

Key Policy Features
Allows up to $25,000 without an appraisal, anything over does but it is agreed value.
Allows up to 10,000 miles a year and it is nationwide coverage
Roadside assistance with Rollback pick up if you break down
Ability to use any repair person/shop of your choice.
Can insure cars under construction

I know someone currently fighting with State Farm about their "agreed value" policy. Their car burnt to the ground and because SF says they can find one "like" his in his area, they are going to settle the claim for the amount it take to by that one, instead of the amount he was paying premium for. Turns out that is about 35% less than what it would take to replace his car.

check it out www.anpacchrome.com

I am not only an American National Client for my 64 Barracuda, I am also an Agent. We have a great speacialty car program called Chrome. In almost every instance I am better coverage for less money against Hagerty and Grundy.

Key Features
Up to $25,000 agreed value WITHOUT an appraisal
Coverage for any amount over $25K with appraisal
Agreed value policy
Road side assistance with Rollback pick up if you break down.

I would be concerned if you are covered by Allstate, Nationwide or State Farm. I know several folks who thought they had agreed value policies until it came to claim time on a total loss. One person had State Farm offering to settle for 35% less when his car burnt to the ground because they could find a car "like" his, in his area for less than the agreed amount.

check us out www.anpacchrome.com

If your are active military or a vet or have someone in the family who is try to get USAA.
For the money and the coverage you get it can't be beat.

I'll stick w/ Hagerty, been with them a long time, and no problems with claims. 72 Demon 340, 74 Scamp and a 99 Corvette for just over $500.00/yr. I pay all at a time.:cheers:

discount auto insurance...
so when you ride with me you'll know if we wreck & you end up dead or crippled, you & ur family get nothing but a claims court judgment that lingers into decades of miniscule payments.

discount auto insurance...
so when you ride with me you'll know if we wreck & you end up dead or crippled, you & ur family get nothing but a claims court judgment that lingers into decades of miniscule payments.
It's not discounted. With Hagerty, you must carry the coverage limits with them as you have with daily drivers. You have to fax or mail them a copy of your current policy.
It's just cheaper because they understand that these cars aren't used as daily drivers or abused and are babied. The risk factor is much less.
1baddodge, I pay the whole thing up front. for $118, I'm not going to break that down into a monthly premium. I only pay once a year.

It's not discounted. With Hagerty, you must carry the coverage limits with them as you have with daily drivers. You have to fax or mail them a copy of your current policy.
It's just cheaper because they understand that these cars aren't used as daily drivers or abused and are babied. The risk factor is much less.
1baddodge, I pay the whole thing up front. for $118, I'm not going to break that down into a monthly premium. I only pay once a year.

That is exactly correct. The rates already anticipate the cars are parked 4-5 months a year here in OH. The levels of coverage I carry are 250,000 per person and 500,000 per accident liability. Our loss ratio experience is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than daily driver vehicles so the amount of premium we need to collect is not nearly as much because the exposure is much lower.

We require the cars be kept in a locked garage to be in the program so incidents of theft are rare.

americancollectors.com They insured every beater without issue. They want one picture of the car and you must have a garage that locks up. You must also have a everyday driver, AKA a real everyday car. No problem here since I have a Dakota nd the wife has a Ford. They just don't want youto use it as a everyday car.

The only other thing is you can not drive it to work, because it is then considered an everyday car. That's it! My Duster was and my Magnum is insured for $5000 @ $106 yearly.

There moto, "Why can't you drive it anytime you want, anywhere you want, when ever you want? A car is there to enjoy, not just parades and club meets."

-
Back