What cars have the same rear as a Duster?

-

REVIVER

Reaction score
My sons 73 Duster has a 9 bolt 7 1/4 rearend with 5 on 4 bolt pattern. We are using a set of 1 inch thick adapter plates to convert to 5 on 4 1/2 to fit the wheels we put on and match the disc brake fronts we converted too. The rear wheels rub in semi hard corners and the bearings will need to be replaced soon. We will be swapping out the slant 6 for a v-8 some day soon so I will be looking for an affordable rear to swap in. Besides the valiant what other cars have the same rearend that we can target for a direct swap?

Thanks Jerry

Since you've already converted the front brakes to disc and LBP, your best bet would be from a 73-76 A Body either a 7.25 that is already LBP or better since you're going to convert to a V8 would be an 8.25. Both would be a bolt in; however you'd need the shock plates that come with the 8.25 as well as the 3 inch U Bolts

Thanks for the reply

Thats what I thought. I was just wondering if there was an off the wall car that would have the right rear we could look for.

Anyone out there have one laying around in the way close to Tampa FL?

8 3/4 from a 66/67 B body is the next best fitting axle upgrade after the pricey A body specific 8 3/4. You can do the B body swap with no cutting/welding. F/M/J 8 1/4 is close.

So a possible fix for now would be to find a set of axles with LBP and change out the bearings? There is a mutitude of problems with this rear right now besides the bolt pattern. The previous owner had installed a set of coil springs on the axle that make an awfull sproing sound going over speed bumps at his school. The car looks great and all eyes are on it so its not cool when it makes that sound. These are in it because the leafs are week and he chose to do this instead of replacing the leafs. We needed more clearance for the large wheels so I put a set of air shocks in it for adjustability. The car bounces badly with all this crap in there but if I remove the coil springs and the air shocks bleed down the tires rub the quarters and thats not good for the paint. The fix is new leafs and a 8 3/4 rear swapped in but the budget is tight and I am finding it hard to find a rear a 17 year old delivering pizza can afford. I paid for everything else on the car for the last four years we have been working on it but the drive train upgrades are on him.

-
Back