What caused my clutch to break?

-

sbh126

Reaction score
Yesterday I was driving my Duster and had to slam on the breaks. As soon as I did I heard a thunk and started having problems with my clutch. I limped home and started to pull the drive train. I know I didn't need to but I had planned on pulling it out anyways this weekend to start my 440 swap, so if there ever was a good time for something to break, this was it. Anyways, 2 of the six springs in the clutch had blown out of place. What could have caused this to happen? I was in third gear (3 speed) when it all happened.

Attachments

• DSC01145.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC01146.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 216
more pics

Attachments

• DSC01150.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC01149.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 225
Man, that's crazy!! Never seen that before! I see it says Made in the USA on it. I was looking for Mexico on it somewhere!

Hope you find out what cause it!

Too much horsepower. Have you revved the motor and side-stepped the clutch lately? LOL

Do I see another crack from spring cavity across the M in MADE ?

I'm guess metal fatique in a part that was reman'd X number of times.
Flex plates crack too. Just nature of the beast.

It might be that it was adjusted wrong and you over stroked it.

Do I see another crack from spring cavity across the M in MADE ?

I'm guess metal fatique in a part that was reman'd X number of times.
Flex plates crack too. Just nature of the beast.

I would say thats where the springs cut into the clutch

Those are the torsion springs, basically they will allow some give when the engine is turning and the tranny isn't (foot on the clutch peddle). When you engage the clutch the springs will compress just a little which lowers the shock load on the clutch disc. Side stepping the clutch at high revs will pound the crap out of these springs and the seats they're assembled into. When you stomp on the brakes this also causes a shock load to be transmitted to the springs cuss the engine is still turning but the brakes are trying to stop everything from turning until you depress the clutch peddle. My guess is that the springs were on the way out and the coupe de gras was the sudden nailing of the brakes.

I,m with Demon Seed here,when travelling in 3rd(at least 40mph)and locking on the binders without depressing the clutch,will have a major effect on the clutch.When installing your new one,use some anti-sieze on the shaft,yours looks to be dry(Ak rust forming)

I would guess it was already damaged, cracked, etc, from a previous, uh, application of high power levels. Sudden drivetrain shock---in this case caused by sudden braking,--can cause interesting results.

"Back in the day" a friend (later the first owner of my '70 440 sixpack RR) had a 350 powered 65 Chevelle. He was entering the "Bay Bridge" going to San Francisco from T.I. A wild one-two **** resulted in a broken rear axle. After we got that replace, THE CAR WOULD NOT MOVE!! The shock to the drivetrain had snapped the input shaft of the 4 speed--a Muncie right in two.

I have done a few full throttle clutch side steps recently. You'd think that would have broke it before slamming on the brakes would have. I got the clutch at autozone a few months ago. Wont make that mistake again.

I have done a few full throttle clutch side steps recently. You'd think that would have broke it before slamming on the brakes would have. I got the clutch at autozone a few months ago. Wont make that mistake again.

Did you push in the clutch when you slammed on the brakes or did you just let the engine stall ? If you didn't push in the clutch that is why this happened , the clutch was on it's way out , you just made it happen faster .

That is not clutch in, brakes on damage. That is from a big downshift with/without braking (most likely) or heavy braking with the clutch out (less likely).

Remember…… Brakes are for slowing the car. The clutch is for shifting.

All those big downshifts you see on TV are for entertainment. Proper downshifting requires rev matching.

Even a quality clutch will fail (have it's service life shortened) with over aggressive downshifting.

Well when it happened I didn't have time to downshift or hit the clutch. the engine didn't stall either because I never had to come to a complete stop. I went from 45 to 10 mph. The brakes never locked up either.

-
Back